Learning music (was "Cards with prerequisites")

Érico Miranda Schmitt

27 Dec, 2016 05:06 PM

I have been wondering if it would be possible to create cards with prerequisites?
This way I could add all the cards for a subject before starting to practice them, yet without reviewing advanced topics before learning the basics.

So far, I only have found to ways to achieve this manually:
-Don't add advanced cards until i haven't learned the basic ones.
-Add everything, suspend the advanced ones, and manually unsuspend them as I finish learning basic ones.

This would be very useful to me, because I am a musician (cellist), and while i can review cards with one hand, while holding the cello, if I have to add a new card in the middle of my practice I have to drop the cello, change chairs, and start typing. And I couldn't possibly review a card that asks me to play the whole piece in a fast tempo if I haven't yet learned that tricky passage in slow tempo. But that doesn't mean I cannot visualize all the technical issues before I sit down with my instrument and add all the cards with "solutions" before.

Is there any way to get this automatically? Thank you so much!

By the way, has anyone ever heard of using flashcards to music learning? I haven't yet, and I'm experimenting this with myself, hopefully with good results. Any tips?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 28 Dec, 2016 07:15 AM

Hi Érico,

Anki does not have a feature to only show card X after card Y has been seen, but as you said you can suspend cards, or order the cards and turn off new card introduction until you're ready to learn more. Regarding your question about music learning, I'll move this post to the community section where other users might be able to chime in.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac