Teacher-student synced decks

cjastles

23 Nov, 2016 03:02 AM

Is there any way, as a teacher, to create a deck that students can 'subscribe' to and keep receiving the updates as I add more vocabulary to the deck? I feel like it would be a good tool for vocabulary retention, as sometimes my students are not very proactive at noting vocabulary as we meet it in the lesson. If my idea is possible then I think the students would really buy into it.

1. 1 Posted by Vit on 24 Nov, 2016 04:56 PM

There are 222 posts in 'Discussions' having the word shared in the Title.

2. 2 Posted by David Bailey on 09 Jan, 2017 08:42 PM

This sounds like a good idea - I will make an add-on when I have time that updates decks downloaded from AnkiWeb on startup, so you can simply add new cards then share the deck on AnkiWeb again with the same title and the students will get the latest version.

It should be quite simple to make, so check back in a few days (email me [email blocked] if I forget). I'm interested in the idea since it might help me persuade my language teachers at school to use Anki too!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 10 Jan, 2017 02:39 AM

Please don't do that, as downloading the entire deck and its media each time even a minor update is made will drive up our hosting costs. This is a scenario we'd like to support in the future, but it needs to be handled in a more efficient way.

4. 4 Posted by Balazs on 10 Mar, 2019 08:50 AM

This is an old thread, I am wondering if there is any update on the support for this use case?

I am interested in the same feature, ie. adding new cards to my deck and letting students sync and receive the new cards (on a weekly basis).

Do I understand correctly, that this is already possible by sharing the new .apkg file with students? The students could import the updated .apkg file with the new cards, the existing cards will not be imported as they are duplicates, so the learning progress of the students will not be destroyed, is that correct?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 11 Mar, 2019 02:12 AM

Anki still replies on .apkg files for sharing at the moment. Your understanding is mostly correct, except that if you correct a mistake in a note and export again, users importing again will have their scheduling preserved but the note updated to the new text, rather than the updated text being ignored.

6. 6 Posted by Balazs on 11 Mar, 2019 07:30 AM

Thanks Damien! Sharing .apkg files seems to be then adequate for what I want to do for now.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac