Filtering hard cards exclusively

torgny

19 Nov, 2016 04:45 PM

When I create cards for studying foreign language vocabulary, I often find myself adding more than one definition of a word to the back side of my cards. This is either because a single word may have multiple different meanings (homonyms) or because of difficulties to precisely specify the meaning of a foreign word with just one word in another language (seldom is there a one-to-one mapping of meanings of words across languages).

First of all: is it even a good idea to proceed as I do? I can see that there is a trade-off between ease of memorizing and richness/precision.

When I study said cards, I usually rate myself Good (3) when I recall the most important meaning or a few of the meanings on the back side. However, every now and then I hit Hard (2) when I only recall one of the less important meanings or when I feel that i don't recall "enough" meanings (very much depending on my mood for the day). Obviously, in such cases, I don't find it necessary to hit Again (1) but I would like the card to appear sooner again and hope that I will recall one or a few more meanings by that time.

Again, is this good or poor practice?

Now to my main question. I wanted to create a filtered deck containing only cards that I have rated as Hard (2) today in which I could study those cards and keep hitting Again (1) until I manage to recall _all_ of the definitions and then hit Good (2). Obviously, this would be a "sandbox" deck where I leave the "Reschedule cards based on my answers in this deck" box unchecked.

Again, good or bad practice?

When I created the filtered deck, i tried entering "rated:1:2" in the Search field. According to the manual, this would mean cards answered Hard (2) today. However, this doesn't quite work. Such a filter also includes cards that I have failed today and rated Again (1). Why? Because, when a card goes into relearn mode and you rate it as Good, Good equals (2) and hence those cards are included in the filter.

My next attempt was to enter "rated:1:2 -rated:1:1" in order to exclude failed (and relearned) cards. This works fine... Once. When I rebuild the deck after having studied it, the filter would exclude those cards that were rated Again (1) while in filtered mode. I am actually happy with this as I intend to study the filtered deck exactly once. But, just for the sake of it and in order for me to fully grasp how filtered decks works, let me ask you Anki experts how to create a filtered deck with exclusively hard cards.

The search function of the forum isn't working at the moment so I am sorry if you've seen this question a million times.

1. 1 Posted by ZapBeeb on 20 Nov, 2016 11:43 AM

I'd say that if the word you add are to specify a single concept (the meaning of the word), then you ma add it without overdoing it.

But if you are adding more concepts (more and different meanings) then you should create different notes, and give some context to distinguish between them.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac