Is it worth to have a note type with many fields to split information in pieces or is there a better alternative?

Al.G

16 Nov, 2016 10:02 AM

I'm learning english words and have created a note type with the following fields:

• english word/phrase
  • meaning in my language as verb
  • meaning in my language as noun
  • meaning in my language as adjective
  • example as verb
  • example as noun
  • example as adjective

And I'm thinking of filling in each field when necessarry with the proper information. (If there isn't one I leave it empty and a card is not created)
But because of the many fields I feel I'm doing it wrong.
Is there a better way to construct my English note type?

Until now I've used simply Basic and reversed card with an added field for examples, but since many words have different meanings when being used as nouns/verbs/adjectives, I often forget which exactly types should I recall. That's why I decided to split things up and have explicit hints for every word. For example, the word "strip" is both a noun and a verb, so when studying I'd like to see:

strip (n)

and then I recall the noun. If I see strip (v) I'll think about the verb.
And not just "strip", where I can forget it could also be a noun and recall only the verb, and press "again" or "good", although I remembered a right translation.
I.e. it conflicts with the KISS rule which I've seen mentioned somewhere in the manual.
Or is this aproach wrong? Can I improve it some way?

1. 1 Posted by Vit on 18 Nov, 2016 03:11 AM

It is much better to have separate notes ( rescheduled far apart - to avoid the prompting effect and interference );
    Reasons:
    1. You will not loose' the ability toMark a card( Anki marks ALL cards of the Note ). 2. You will be able toTaga Single card. 3. You will be able to schedule ( New, Learning and Young cards ) more then One day apart thus - reducing the Prompting effect of related cards ( verb / noun / adverb ). 4. Templates. You will be maintaining only One Template - instead of Three. 5. You will be able to make an Active / Reverse card on-the-fly, by Duplicating and Flipping the Passive Card - after Passive card has reached an x interval ). 6. Will be able toDelete a Card` which you can recall cold.

english word/phrase

I use a naked word or verbal / noun / adverb Phrase. If i can't recall it, i open the Hint=Sentence ;
    if failed, i open another Hint ( which could be a Mnemonics; Antonym; first letter and alike ).
    The Front side will have these fields:
    * English Word ( or a verbal phrase - if applicable )
    * Show Sentence
    * Show first letter * Show Hint

meaning in my language as verb

My first choice is always translation in my own language - which is mostly ONE WORD.

• I stopped using Basic and reverse note for learning English.
      My choices: Basic and all the varieties of Cloze deletion.
  2. Al.G closed this discussion on 15 Mar, 2019 11:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac