Is allowing cards to be rescheduled based on cram sessions detrimental to long term retention?

alan-miller831

14 Nov, 2016 08:17 AM

I've been using Filtered Decks a lot more in recent times, and I'm tempted to check the "Reschedule cards based on my answers in this deck" so that anything I study frequently in Filtered Decks won't be in my regular queues as often, but I'm a bit worried that if I study certain cards a lot in Filtered Decks and they end up not being due for like a year because I studied them several times over the course of only a few days that I'll be more likely to forget them before their next due date as opposed if I just studied them normally.

I guess in short, which do you think is more effective/efficient?

Study one card 20 times in 3 days then don't study it again for years
or
Study that card once one day, then once again in 4 days, then once again in 10 days, etc. having the gap gradually increase.

I'm just not sure if when I cram cards that the intervals will be increased at an appropriate rate. If I do study something many times but only for a few days, will I really remember that information for as long as the intervals could be increased after answering them 20 times?

Not sure if anyone has statistics on this or anything, but any information would be appreciated.

P.S.
The reason I do study certain things so often over a short period of time is because I use Anki's filtered deck search options to look for certain types of words that I could use in specific sentence types.

1. 1 Posted by Vit on 14 Nov, 2016 07:50 PM

In the Manual, search for 'spaced rep':
    "There are two simple concepts behind Anki: active recall testing and spaced repetition...."

I use Anki's filtered deck search options to look for certain types of words that I could use in specific sentence types.

It seems illogical; why not search in the Browser ?

2. 2 Posted by alan-miller831 on 15 Nov, 2016 01:43 PM

Well I want Anki to present words to me to use rather that search for specific words. For example if I need it to show me random nouns to use in sentences I can search for nouns and it'll add them to a filtered deck. When it presents them to me it gives me a noun to use in a sentence which helps my composition as well as another chance to test my retention of the word itself.

3. 3 Posted by Vit on 15 Nov, 2016 09:58 PM

I'm just not sure if when I cram cards that the intervals will be increased at an appropriate rate.

Manual:
    " Anki uses a special algorithm for these reviews that takes into account how early you are reviewing. If the cards were almost due to be shown, they will be given a new delay similar to what they would have received if you had reviewed them on time. If the cards are reviewed soon after they were scheduled however, their new delay will be similar to their previous delay. This calculation ..... [more]

4. 4 Posted by alan-miller831 on 23 Nov, 2016 03:28 PM

YES! Ok, I didn't see this in the manual. Thank you so much!

5. alan-miller831 closed this discussion on 23 Nov, 2016 03:28 PM.

6. Vit re-opened this discussion on 28 Dec, 2016 08:56 PM

7. 5 Posted by Vit on 28 Dec, 2016 08:56 PM

About the Load distribution.
    Damien wrote the add-on
    Change order of review cards.....
    I found it to be the solution for the load problem.
    This add-on presents you the most urgent cards ( those with smallest intervals, so that if you are late to review, the Relative overdueness could double ! ). SO, if you can not finish due cards Today - no worries! Because the cards left in the queue have large interval, hence the Rel.Overdueness increase will be insignificant.
    It is helpfull also to look at the Forecast chart to check if the Low bar is nearby.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac