Sunday off

Neil Martin

23 Oct, 2016 12:45 PM

Dear Anki
I am a very committed Anki user with approx 5,000 flashcards helping me work in 3 different languages.
I know that Anki has a strong opinion that there is no such thing as a day off for effective memorisation, but I am desperate to find a way to set up the software to work on a 6 day week basis, so that I can have a lie in on Sunday mornings and not be enslaved to vocab every day of the week.
Please can you tell me if there is a way to do this that doesn't involve studying ahead and giving myself an extra hour of work every Saturday. I just want the system to assume that I work a 6 day week and to ignore Sundays completely.
With thanks
Neil

1. 1 Posted by Dave_L on 23 Oct, 2016 07:49 PM

In my humble opinion:

If you want to take a day off from Anki, take a day off. I do that every Saturday.

Faking Anki's statistics wouldn't accompiish anything. Your memory never takes a day off.

2. 2 Posted by Vit on 29 Oct, 2016 01:37 AM

Edit Feb-9, 2017:
    This line changed:
    Change Line-11 toAscorder.
    End of edit.

Anki has a strong opinion that there is no such thing as a day off.

It is not cut in stone; example: Anki deliberately changes the interval by +/- 2 days on small intervals; and even more - on larger ivl ( maybe 5 -10% ?).

Second, Anki's intervals are a rough estimate and not even close to the optimal.

Given these facts, if you are Overdue one day (even on a card with interval = 1d ) -- it is irrelevant.

So, to 'reduce', figuratively speaking, the Overdueness on cards with Small intervals, download Damien's add-on
    Change order of Review cards .....
    Change Line-11 to Asc order.
    This add-on changed my Anki life !!!

So, on Monday, you will change the Limit on Review cards by adding 1/7th of Sunday cards - or whatever.
    Anki will show the cards with smallest intervals first - wether they are from Sunday or from Today's due list.

This trick will not hurt neither the memorization nor scheduling to a meaningful degree; because u will have studied the most 'sensitive' cards only 1 day late - which is within Anki's 'noise'.

These days off will increase load; but there are 2 solutions which are rarely brought up ( in addition to other measures ..... ) to decrease Workload:
    * Track the Retention ( as accurately as possible ) and increase intervals if your Retention-% is hi.
    * suspend older cards. In old days we never read the Textbook more then twice ( except for before the exam ). Now - Anki ! And we are doing 20 reps for each fact ! This 'all or nothing' approach drives people crazy and they eventually may stop using Anki.

I tested my retention on cards with the last ivl >=10 month. Got 80% retention - ESL vocabulary.
    So i suspend those cards.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac