Annoying behavior of the spaced repetition algorithm

amail4-franckinsc

12 Oct, 2016 06:42 PM

Hi,
I find the use of spaced repetition very useful in Anki but it has a very annoying behaviour:
the amount of time I don't revise a card doesn't seem to be taken into account in the scheduling. For example, if I revised a card 6 months ago and couldn't remember it, it was scheduled for the day after, which is fine. But if after 6 months I revise the card again then the next revision is scheduled for the day after even if I could remember it for 6 months!
I have almost 9000 cards (for German) spread amongst several decks. Sometimes I let some decks apart for several weeks (by lack of time) but when I revise them again, the scheduling is the same as several weeks ago and I loose time revising them more times than necessary (for example, for known cards the next revision should be weeks or months later, not days!).
Any hope that the algorithm will be improved?

Franck

1. 1 Posted by Aleksej on 12 Oct, 2016 07:50 PM

"New interval" in http://ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#lapses

New users could be confused by the better value (some new users are confused by the initial spacing that happens after one or two reviews), so the default is 0%.

2. 2 Posted by togobo on 12 Oct, 2016 08:08 PM

deleted

3. 3 Posted by Aleksej on 13 Oct, 2016 07:30 AM

I just reread your second paragraph, and I think tobogo was right.

4. 4 Posted by amail4-franckin... on 13 Oct, 2016 09:34 AM

Thanks for your answer. So could it that I was mistaken and only the cards that had to be relearnt showed up again with a 1 day interval but for the other ones with longer intervals the inactivity period is taken into account?

5. 5 Posted by ZapBeeb on 16 Oct, 2016 06:23 PM

What was in the answer posted by tobogo that has now been deleted?

6. 6 Posted by Aleksej on 16 Oct, 2016 07:34 PM

tobogo wrote that maybe Franck's cards were In Learning when he abandoned them, so steps were used, not normal intervals.

7. 7 Posted by togobo on 21 Oct, 2016 09:13 PM

I originally wrote this:

I understand your question like this: You have an overdue card. You review it. As you forgot it you rate it "again". Then five minutes later you review it and rate it as "good". Then you don't have time for Anki and open the Deck 6 months later. You remember this card but the new interval for "good" is only something like "one day".

For the handling of overdue cards (in the review phase) see the manual-FAQ. For cards in review the delay is considered when calculating the new interval.

But for cards still in the learning phase this doesn't seem to happen. I think that's not a problem because the default settings of Anki are chosen for people who use it regularly. You can change the number of steps and the delays between them in the deck options. What happens if you only have one step in learning (like 5min)? Then the first time you see the card good and easy should graduate the card to the reviewing phase (where the overdue time is considered)

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac