reverse cards

Adam

09 Sep, 2016 06:45 PM

Does studying cards, both front to back and back to front, decrease retention opposed to only memorizing one way?
From the user manual, "cards that go in both directions (e.g., both “ookii”→“big” & “big”→“ookii”)."

Would studying two flashcards (both with the same content but in reverse order, lessen the benefits of studying right at the periphery (i.e., spaced repetition)?

1. 1 Posted by Vit on 10 Sep, 2016 03:57 AM

Does studying cards, both front to back and back to front, DECREASE retention opposed to only memorizing one way?

Yes! Memory traces are weak if you recall a card easyly. As you have said, "lessen the benefits of studying right at the periphery".
    So your intervals are sub-optimal and you make a lot of wasted reps.

That's why i do NOT use 'Basic - Rev' Notes ( or other two ); if i do not need the 'Active' card -- i do not make it.
    I make two Basic Notes; and phrase the Q&A differently !!!
    BTW, Soren also wrote that he likes two separate notes...

If i did make an Active card, i drop the Passive card ( move it to Archive deck) at certain point.

There are also the corollary benefits ( of separate Notes):
    * Tag apples to ONE card, not a few.
    * Mark -- you can mark a CARD
    * Bury -- can bury a Card
    * Option_Groups -- i have one for Passive and one for Active cards.
    * Delete will NOT delete all cards ( and you may or may not notice it );

2. 2 Posted by ZapBeeb on 11 Sep, 2016 09:58 AM

This sounds interesting, i will give it a try..

3. 3 Posted by Adam on 11 Sep, 2016 07:36 PM

I believe you Vit. That makes complete sense. Although why is there the option of reverse cards then?!

4. 4 Posted by Vit on 11 Sep, 2016 11:57 PM

why is there the option of reverse cards then?!

I guess when you start learning a language and go thru 'basic' vocabulary -- nouns,
    adjectives, pronouns, numbers, etc, the 'Basic and Reverse' cards would make sense.

• I see 'Basic and reverse' Notes when people study Asian languages; pharmacology....

PS. In 1999 Supermemo did not have 'Basic and reverse' Notes; but they did have "Duplicate and Swap fields" option ( which now exist in Anki add-ons ).

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac