How to: Learn twice a day

DocRock

26 Jan, 2016 01:00 PM

Dear Users,

first of all: The is a great tool. Thank you.

Is it possible to learn with ankidroid twice or even three times a day?
Often I do my first learning course at the morning before Breakfast. I usually do have around 200 Cards within 15 min. That's what the Status line tells me.

Now, I would like to start the next learning session at noon and maybe the third in the evening. Actually right now, I would have to wait until the next day (which would mean just 15 min of vocabulary learning per day possible.)

Is there any way i could shorten the time to wait for the next start?

Thank you
DocRock

1. 1 Posted by ZapBeeb on 31 Jan, 2016 11:19 AM

Hi.

Which is exactly your goal?
    Once you studied your 200 cards in 15 min, what you want to do in the next session?

You could add more cards to learn, but this will increase the time needed for reviewing in the next days, regardless of the fact you want to do 30 minutes instead of 15 or not.

You can decide how many cards you want to learn for each day, you may also modify this number from day to day, but the total time required for reviewing the cards, which is determined by the learning algorythm, is not something you can change (unless you limit the number of reviews per day, something i wouldn't recommend).

Or, i just did not understand your question. :)

2. 2 Posted by DocRock on 31 Jan, 2016 01:13 PM

I will describe the question or my learning mode:

Ususally i do learn at 7:00 in the Morning. I will learn about 200 cards in about 10-15 min.
    Now i got Time in the lunch Pause and would like to Continue learning for 10-15 min
    And maybe in the evening one one More Time before i go to bed.

Right now the only possibility seems to me to Build a temporary filtered Deck i.e. With Words forgotten within the last 10 days

I do not know now to Continue learning not having to wait for 24 hours.
    Thanx for helping me along with this Great Tool.
    Doc

3. 3 Posted by Vit on 31 Jan, 2016 04:19 PM

I usually do have around 200 Cards within 15 min. That's what the Status line tells me.

What is the Status line ? It is not an Anki term :-(
    Is it a Deck_Overview screen; Decks screen; and Study screen ?
    They described in the Manual.
    It is unclear where did you get the count.

The 200 is not the number of cards but the POSSIBLE # of Reviews/repetitions
    which could be larger than # of cards; the reason: multiple Steps;
    the emphases on 'possible' because you may not need to go thru ALL steps - by tapping AGAIN at any time.

If you have only One Option_Group, open it --> tab "Reviews" will show "Max Reviews per day".

To make 50 more cards available for Noon session, ADD '50' to the 'Reviews count'.

Do the same at evening: add 50 more on top of 50.

PS. 200 cards and still not enough ?
    Think about deleting Step=1 min for New and Lapsed; the consensus for the first step seems to be 10 min; but for your cards ( i infer them to be very simple, maybe with ;clues' , esp from Cloze deletion ? ) i would delete step=10min also; and to improve retention, i'd "Preview" once the "New-cards-learned in-the-morning" at Noon session.

There are other ways to reduce the Load.

PPS. Do you have a huge backlog of Overdue cards ?

4. 4 Posted by DocRock on 31 Jan, 2016 04:48 PM

Sorry for incorrect Description, am using only android app for learning. Desktop Version only for importing new downloaded sets. And german language pac. As a newbie it is difficult to Apply changes from manual to App.

In the Decks overview, where i will start and will be returned after learning the cards there is a Status line below which tells me Number of cards learnt and elapsed time.

Yes, there are a lot of simple words like months, days or numbers.
    Sorry i do not know wehre to finde the backload of overdue cards.

I will Try your recommendations and will see if this will help me along.
    Thx Doc

5. 5 Posted by DocRock on 31 Jan, 2016 04:57 PM

Attached a screenshot of the 'status line'...

6. 6 Posted by Vit on 31 Jan, 2016 06:02 PM

Yes, there are a lot of simple words like months, days or numbers.

I would suspend them after a few Review reps and:
    i would not hit AGAIN on those - hit GOOD button; these are high frequency items and will be shown in other cards all-the-time :-)

i do not know where to find the backload of overdue cards.

On PC in Browser, select a deck and search for is:due -prop:due=0
    The count will be shown at the top of screen.
    There are ways to deal with a Backlog.
    The first step is Stop adding cards.
    Next, suspend some cards - cards you have seen enough times ( like numbers .... ) to 'sacrifice' them to have more time to learn most important words.
    And more ....

7. 7 Posted by DocRock on 31 Jan, 2016 06:25 PM

Thanx for support.
    Greets Doc

8. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:51 PM.

9. Damien Elmes re-opened this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 10:50 PM

10. 8 Posted by fred on 26 Apr, 2020 04:44 PM

Hello, I have a similar need. I use Anki for vocabulary learning (foreign language study). Here's my problem: when I'm near the end of my study session, for exemple let's say I have just 5 cards left, even if I ask anki to show me the card in a minute or in ten minutes, the card appers again and again after a few seconds in a neverending loop! That is totally useless. I'm sure that I can remember anything for a few seconds, but I know also that I will forget that card in 10 minutes or even 1 minute. I suppose that having a session in the morning and a session in the evening, would be of a great help, in order to check, for exemple, if the last cards of the first session are properly learned. That's why I'd like to have a 'show me in 5 hours' button for those cards, in order to review them in a second session during the same day. Or maybe I'd like just to have the card again only after 10 minutes, really after 10 minute, even if it's the last card of the session. I don't know If I made myself clear. Thanks!!!

11. 9 Posted by Guillem Palau-S... on 26 Apr, 2020 06:04 PM

Guillem Palau-Salvà (contributor user)'s Avatar

for exemple let's say I have just 5 cards left, even if I ask anki to show me the card in a minute or in ten minutes, the card appers again and again after a few seconds in a neverending loop!

Set the learn ahead limit to 5 or less in the preferences.

12. 10 Posted by addons_zz on 08 May, 2020 02:38 AM

Set the learn ahead limit to 5 or less in the preferences.

This will force other cards to show up first (helping delaying just seem cards) Reviewing Ahead.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac