Review Customization

Zach

28 Nov, 2015 12:23 PM

Sometimes in a deck, I neglect to do study the reviews the day they appear, and the "green" good review button gets exponentially longer every subsequent day I don't study it. Does anyone know how to prevent this exponential increase.

Thank you for your help.

1. 1 Posted by Vit on 29 Nov, 2015 02:47 AM

Would be nice to know why you are diss'd with large intervals.

2. 2 Posted by ZapBeeb on 29 Nov, 2015 08:55 AM

I think this is a consequence of how the brain works, or, to be more precise, on how the Anki algorythm thinks the brain works.
    If the initial intervals were right for you i don't see how you could possibly adjust that.

If you had an option to set the deck as it appeared when you left the deck the last time (call it the "free lunch" option), you'd be left with a massive number of lapsed card for the following days (or months).

Which is honestly not so different from the situation you are facing right now.
    The problem is not Anki but the way your brain remembers the card you already studied.

3. 3 Posted by Zach Rickers on 29 Nov, 2015 09:45 AM

The only problem is that the length is incredibly long and I feel that
    repetition is a huge part of learning, and I am missing out on that
    part, even if I know the "flash card".

4. 4 Posted by Dave_L on 29 Nov, 2015 12:50 PM

If you choose "Hard" when reviewing, that will keep the intervals shorter. I usually do that.

You can customize the intervals in each desk's options. You can create a Filtered Deck to force more reviewing. But I think it's better to trust Anki's algorithm.

5. 5 Posted by Vit on 29 Nov, 2015 04:06 PM

The only problem is that the length is incredibly long and I feel that repetition is a huge part of learning, and I am missing out on that part,
    even if I know the "flash card".

Your feeling is in line with Supermemo guidelines on Drilling (and memory science ). But the devil is in details: one needs extra reps only during Learning or Relearning.
    Quote: "* It is only when we recite or contemplate the idea conveyed by a paragraph, that the gist of idea has a chance of moving into long-term memory (LTM).
    The more reps, the more likely it is to go to LTM."

• Since you 'know' a card, there is no need to decrease the interval ;
      i would do the opposite and Increase the Interval modifier -- to reduce future Workload.

• But, the heck with theory; your 'practical' feeling is what counts - you have to feel comfortable with what you do.

This is what i do to Control Intervals:

• When making New cards, choose smaller Ease ( before you store the card ). I use 150.

• 'Maximum interval" option gives you full control. I made 10 option Groups with 'Max Intervals' of different length.

• The 'Interval modifier" can reduce the Calculated interval up to 1%.

6. System closed this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 12:11 AM.

7. Damien Elmes re-opened this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 10:50 PM

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac