Korean: Idea for an efficient method (and qestions about how to implement it)

David

07 Nov, 2015 04:15 PM

Hello everyone,

I want to use Anki for creating, using and sharing an efficient method to learn Korean vocabulary, which I think would be particularly suitable for memorizing Sino-Korean words (Korean words which are usually written using the Korean Hangeul alphabet, but which in fact consists of Chinese characters). In my opinion the detailed analysis of such words and of the Chinese characters in respective would be a great mnemonic help for learners.

However, I find it not easy to get along with the Anki/LaTeX code for creating complex card templates, especially when dealing with boxes, which should be filled with fields (including the aspect of their appropriate sizes and the width of their borders).

Is anyone here, who is experienced with such tasks, and who could therefore create a template corresponding to the layout I created and attached to this post?

I would be more grateful, if anyone would be willing to do so, and since I intend to create many cards distributed in a reasoned order of decks covering a huge range of topics, which I would like to share with anyone who wants to study Korean, I'm sure that a lot of other people would appreciate this as well.

Thanks in advance and best wishes

David

1. 1 Posted by dayjaby on 15 Dec, 2015 08:05 AM

Hi David,

I might be able to help you with that (having such high quality Korean cards is definitely a motivation!). One question though: Would you create only cards for words that contain up to 2 Chinese characters? What about words like 神風特攻隊? I personally think that the back site would become very clumsy for longer words.

Edit: Oh, you asked in another thread as well. Could you get help? How is your progress? :)

2. 2 Posted by David on 23 Dec, 2015 04:32 PM

Hi dayjaby,

I must have been out of mind for a while when I replied on the notification mail thinking that you would receive this then (maybe a bit too much Korean vocabulary during the last few days).

So I'll quote myself:
    Your question is indeed a good one considering that cards explaining four (or even more) Chinese characters would look quite clumsy like you said. Since more than 95% (at least) of all Sino-Korean words are made up of only two Chinese characters, maybe this would be a reasonable solution:
    1) Limiting the words to two characters due to the abovementioned reason.
    2) Creating a separate (clumsy) layout for separate decks containing Sino-Korean words consisting of 4 or more Chinese characters.

I thought of this solution especially because of the fact that those <5% Sino-Korean words consisting of 4 characters are 故事成語 in many cases - Therefore a separate layout could be used for creating (e. g.) 故事成語decks (which would surely be worthy to learn - there are even apps only for that purpose). How do you (and others) think about this?

By the way, this special layout wouldn't even have to be clumsy: If the goal would be to adopt the same size of cards like cards belong to 'normal decks', then this could be realized by letting the learner click on an 'etymological explanation button', which would in consequence let a box pop up showing the full explanation. If I am not mistaken, this should be possible with Anki.

EDIT: No progress so far, since I spent most of my time on looking up Korean technical vocabulary due to the job I'm currently doing. If this might be a motivation to help creating a deck similar to my draft: I promise to put all the stuff I have to look up into it and share it with anyone who's interested. ;)

3. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:55 PM.

4. Damien Elmes re-opened this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 10:50 PM

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac