Connecting cards

Billie

01 Nov, 2015 04:47 PM

Is there a way to make certain cards appear one after another every time one of them is scheduled for review?I am studying for exam so sometimes when subject is more complicated I need to have overview of whole exam question.
Since I am not sure if my english is good enough I will post explanation of what am I searching for from another sofware I was using before Anki called Full recall
Hard sticking means that every time item A shows up for a review (normal or forced), item B will follow it. Soft sticking item A to item B means that every time item A shows up for a review (normal or forced), item B will follow it only if item B is scheduled for review for now or in next 10 days.
Thank you

1. 1 Posted by Dave_L on 01 Nov, 2015 08:04 PM

2. 2 Posted by Billie on 01 Nov, 2015 08:44 PM

I did now.Thank you

3. 3 Posted by Vit on 02 Nov, 2015 04:25 AM

Is there a way to make certain cards APPEAR one after another EVERY TIME one of them is scheduled for review?
    .... when subject is complicated , I need to have overview of whole exam question.

Can't you review it in the Book where you were Learning the material ? Medical students do just that - they use Anki along the Book.

Or if you attach an .apkg file containing One set of cards which you want to see one after another, i think i can provide a solution - easy one.

4. 4 Posted by ZapBeeb on 08 Nov, 2015 09:54 AM

Can't you review it in the Book where you were Learning the material ? Medical students do just that - they use Anki along the Book.

So this is what they do to blend the trees with the forest?
    I really have to dig into that topic in the medicine students forum one day or the other...

5. 5 Posted by togobo on 08 Nov, 2015 02:11 PM

Connecting cards is not popular among experienced SRS (spaced repetition sofware) users. Usually you are referred to http://www.supermemo.com/articles/20rules.htm which stresses the "minimum information principle". I like this article and have read it several times over the last years.

I haven't searched but I would guess that most literature about SR (spaced repetition) tries to determine the best intervals and demonstrates that SR is applicable to a wide array of topics (and not only random words/vocabulary). I don't think that there are (m)any good studies on the optimal length of your index card. We can infer some rules from general principles of learning but in psychological studies small variations can change the outcome very much ... and maybe short cards are most effective for everyone only in theory because maybe some people are very frustrated with them so that using "suboptimal" cards increases their learning time? People who write about their experience with SRS are probably quite different from the average learner ... In many areas sophisticated people dismiss anecdotal evidence and insist on randomized controlled trials and/or meta-analyses for very good reasons. Other smart people for various reasons insist on experiments with n=1 (quantified self).

So I don't have 100% confidence in the advice to always avoid "connecting cards". Maybe people should experiment to see what fits their style of studying best? Nevertheless I'd also suggest to try using short cards first. I think beginners tend to discard short cards prematurly.

If you start using Anki only briefly before an exam maybe it's better to stick with something that's more similar to the previous way of studying or what feels more comfortable - e.g. longer cards?

There are several ways to implement "hard sticking" (Card B always follows card A) in Anki. Last year I wrote a very long answer about this and my experience with longer cards https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/effective-learning/254-files... I wouldn't use the html-css hack I mentioned.
    I don't see any way to use "Soft sticking" in Anki.

Maybe you'll find some information here: http://www.gwern.net/Spaced%20repetition

6. System closed this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 12:21 AM.

7. Damien Elmes re-opened this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 10:50 PM

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac