Will ANKI Last Forever? If I publish a book using Anki Flashcard Decks as an Integral Part of Book?

effective4english

19 Oct, 2015 05:00 PM

Good Day,

Of course, ANKI is a great resource for language learners. WIthout ANKI, how can anyone even think about publishing a language learning textbook?

I may need to put together a Thai Reader for Intermediate learners, a sort of anthology of culturally interesting vignettes designed to teach Farang about important aspects of Thai culture and life. I think that it will be a valuable addition to the relative dearth of Thai Language texts. But my thinking is that ANKI should really be a major part of the effort, in order to provide the learner with the most efficient way of quickly getting a working knowledge of the vocabulary before digging into the meat of the presented texts.

What are the legal issues, if any?
What are the things, if any, that an author must be aware of in order to do something like this?
Can one link to a deck and then expect to have it available to lerners 10 years later?
I have no idea about some of these ramifications, and ANKI is a free software system, so perhaps this type of thing is not really in the cards, so to speak.

I think that ANKI should offer this resource to authors of language textbooks.
Very few authors or learners even seem aware of ANKI, and so I do mention ANKI whenever and wherever I have the chance, which turns out to be quite frequently.

Thank you.

1. 1 Posted by Dave_L on 20 Oct, 2015 12:04 AM

One advantage of free software such as Anki is that the complete source code is provided, at least for the desktop edition. So even if Damien stops maintaining the product, any qualified person or organization is free to continue maintaining it.

2. 2 Posted by effective4engli... on 20 Oct, 2015 03:59 PM

I see, thank you, however it seems to me that the great advantage of ANKI,
    as it is set up now, is the cloud servers which are able to update
    momentarily, and to share all decks between all devices, and even share for
    collaboration with others.

Thank you.

3. 3 Posted by Dave_L on 20 Oct, 2015 09:49 PM

Whether that will be supported for the long term is probably something only Damien could answer. The Anki (Computer Version) or AnkiWeb (Website) forum might be a better place to ask about it.

4. 4 Posted by Christian Klein... on 18 Nov, 2015 07:04 PM

I think there are plenty of people who do have an interest into Anki like software being around. In case Damien wouldn't support it anymore I would expect other people to develop similar software and there to be a way to convert Anki decks automatically into a new format.

As far as expecting links being stable that a more difficult issue. I would expect them to be still be working in the future but they might not. It would be good to have a website for your book that you control.
    Even if Anki would go down you could still host the deck and a version of Anki on your website.

5. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:49 PM.

6. Damien Elmes re-opened this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 10:50 PM

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac