Two 5 minute study sessions per day?

François Beausoleil

15 Oct, 2015 01:24 PM

Hi!

I'm building a deck to learning English for my daughter: many verbs, some vocabulary and sentence structure decomposition (she's 10). For verbs alone, I have about 20 notes, split in 24 cards each (pronunciation, typing, pure translating). I will add more cards as the year progresses.

I'm trying to calculate how many new cards per day I should schedule to achieve approximately two 5 minute study sessions per day. I don't want to overwhelm her either.

Any tips would be very appreciated.

Thanks!
François Beausoleil

1. 1 Posted by ZapBeeb on 18 Oct, 2015 08:06 AM

It depends on the intervals chosen and now many failed cards there will be.

In my case with 5 cards per day yield about 50-70 repetitions per day and a study time of about 15 minutes. This is for the english vocabulary deck.

I am following a MOOC right now, and in the correspondent deck 10 cards per day yield the same 50 repetitions per day and about the same 15 minutes study time.

2. 2 Posted by Dave_L on 20 Oct, 2015 12:15 AM

You don't have to base your study time on what Anki tells you. Just do the two five minutes sessions a day. You can stop after five minutes, even if Anki says there are more cards to review.

3. 3 Posted by etapley on 22 Oct, 2015 06:22 PM

I would start with enough per day to give her bit of a challenge, but only for a few days. Maybe 5-20 new cards, depending on her level of enthusiasm, her familiarity with the material, and the difficulty of the cards.

Then after there are some cards in play (one day? three days?), I'd drop back for a while to only one or two new cards per day, and see how that works out for her for a while.

If she's regularly at the point of stopping (as Dave says) when the time is up even though there are more cards left to review, I highly recommend turning off new cards entirely. Leaving cards to review means that there may be some cards that she won't see often enough to learn them, and that can waste time and be frustrating.

I have experience with using Anki in my kids' school program, and I think it's more important to cultivate a regular habit than it is to add a lot of cards per day.

4. System closed this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 12:02 AM.

5. Damien Elmes re-opened this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 10:50 PM

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac