Suggestion for improving/enhancing "Anki"

stephan.rupp

03 Oct, 2015 04:33 PM

Dear Anki developper(s),
dear Anki community,

having worked with the web application "Vokker" for the last 8 years (unfortunately, the application, bought out by Phase-6 some years ago, will be shut down next year), I had a look around on the web what I could use for me and my pupils instead of "Vokker".
So I discovered "Anki", and at first (and second!) sight, I'm rather delighted by the flexibility of the application.
I don't know if you know "Vokker", but there is a point I liked very much with "Vokker":
As far as I see till know, there is ONE learning method in "Anki". This method ("you knew it?" - "yes"/"no") is one of three learning methods in "Vokker". One can certainly discuss about the third one in "Vokker", consisting in typing the correct answer (you need to have a button "accept" for solutions more or less identic to the "really" correct answer, differing ex. g. only in a comma instead of a semicolon), but there is one method - the fist one in "Vokker" - that I find very good and especially appropriate to the first approach to new vocables: It consists in offering a memory set, where you have cards with the vocables in the source language and cards with the corresponding vocables in the target language. By drawing with the mouse either the target language cards over the source language cards or vice versa, you can make them disappear.
Would it be possible to add this learning method in "Anki"? This would be great!

Kind regards
Stephan

P.S.: Sorry for my English... - I'm German and French teacher...

1. 1 Posted by NicBright on 10 Oct, 2015 09:57 PM

Hi Stephan,

what you describe as the 3rd method in vokker actually is available in Anki too.
    Just have a look at the docs here: http://ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#checking-your-answer -- you can just modify your card templates and add a "type:" prefix to the field name.

Concerning the "drawing and matching" mode you wish for, I think this is too special a use case to be implemented in the core of Anki. However, in theory, it should be possible to write a custom Anki plugin, but it would definitely not be an easy task to do so. It requires a deep understanding about the way how anki stores notes, card types and how the cards are scheduled ... Besides, in my opinion, the "drawing and matching" mode is just not worth the time. I understand, that such a mode could maybe help motivate pupils to engage with the software better. Ultimately, however, I think that the learning effect is rather small when relying only on that mode. To properly learn the vocabulary, the pupils would have to also learn the notes like they're supposed to be learned: the anki way doing active recall and spaced repetition.

By the way: the mode you're describing has similarities with multiple choice questions. There's also a section on that in the docs which is worth a read:
    http://ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#can-i-do-multiple-choice-questions

Regards,
    Nicolas

2. System closed this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 12:11 AM.

3. Damien Elmes re-opened this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 10:50 PM

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac