Using Cloze Cards Versus Basic

jeffshek

17 Sep, 2015 05:48 PM

Are there any downsides to using Cloze cards all the time whereas before Basic would work?

Let's say I'm making a Basic Card from this fact

Fact: Malcolm Turnbull becomes Prime Minister of Australia after replacing Tony Abbott as the Liberal Party leader.
Question : ____ becomes Prime Minister of Australia after replacing Tony Abbott as the Liberal Party leader.
Answer: Malcolm Turnbull

Could I just go ahead and make Cloze Cards where
{{c1::Malcolm Turnbull}} becomes Prime Minister of Australia after replacing Tony Abbott as the Liberal Party leader.

Would that be the same purpose? Would there be any downsides? (Obviously, it's easier to make more clozes from this card later too).

1. 1 Posted by Aleksej on 17 Sep, 2015 06:41 PM

Cards and answers have no names, but only numbers.

2. 2 Posted by itraveller on 20 Sep, 2015 11:40 AM

Hi Jeffrey,

'Cloze' cards in the information plane is completely equivalent to 'Basic', but they give substantial savings in terms of format. This is especially noticeable with the growth of the collection volume, when even such "trifles" as the formulation and reading of questions in aggregate lead to quite serious loss of time. Hence the conclusion - if the structure of a question allows the creation of 'Cloze' cards, then so and should be done. In my opinion your example is precisely such case.

3. 3 Posted by ZapBeeb on 04 Oct, 2015 09:44 AM

I think that with cloze cards the risk is to give too much context, while creating a question and answer explicitly may yield better results because it takes a more conscious effort to isolate what you need to know.
    This said it's just a risk and the cards can be adjusted in time so i find them to be equivalent.

4. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:48 PM.

5. Damien Elmes re-opened this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 10:50 PM

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac