Manually moving cards from "New" to "Review"

notsam

14 Sep, 2015 11:20 AM

I'm hoping to find a way to manually move cards from the "New" to the "Review" category without actually going through the process of "learning" the cards.

I fell behind on material for a previous exam and I now need to move on to learning new, more high-yield, material while still reviewing the old cards. I realize this bypasses the learning algorithm, but I need to review new material now.

1. 1 Posted by etapley on 17 Sep, 2015 03:36 AM

It's quite legitimate to bypass the algorithm if in fact you already know the information. And it's also legitimate to prioritize information—and priorities certainly change with circumstance.

If you select your deck and go into the browser, you can select the cards that you don't want to review repeatedly. How well do you think you know these cards? Do you think you can remember them for three days? Two weeks? Let's say you decide on three weeks.

With these cards selected, choose "reschedule cards" from the menu (I think it's the edit menu but I can't check right now). Chose an appropriate range for rescheduling the cards (say, 17 to 25 days). Anki will show you the cards randomly scheduled between 17 and 25 days from now. And it won't assume they're new cards, but will assume you knew them fairly well. There's no harm done if you miss some of the cards; you can do the learning algorithm at that point.

If you don't want to see the cards at all, you can of course suspend those cards until you're ready for them.

Or you can just reorder the cards, putting this unit's material ahead of last unit's. That works like the rescheduling, but you choose reposition instead. Doing that, though, you'll hit the normal learning algorithm when you finally do see the cards.

2. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:54 PM.

3. Damien Elmes re-opened this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 10:50 PM

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac