Help me schedule my Anki study schedule for a class

Kylie

31 Aug, 2015 04:04 AM

Hi there,

I'm taking a college class that meets every Tuesday and Thursday. After each class, I would have the notes for that class period, and the knowledge for this note would be used for a quiz during the next lesson (e.g. topics learned in Tuesday will be quizzed on Thursday, and those learned in Thursday will be quizzed on the Tuesday of next week).

I've been making Anki flash cards right after each lesson to add to the deck for the class. However, I have a few problems using this to study for the quizzes for several reasons:
(1) While studying for the coming quiz, a lot of the questions are from the lessons from weeks ago, and not from the lesson immediately before.
(2) Some of the questions from the lesson immediately before was "buried", leaving me with some holes in my knowledge when taking the quiz.
(3) I'm unsure of how often I need to study. If I have a lesson on Thursday and the quiz next Tuesday, should I study everyday in between (Thursday night, Friday, Saturday, Sunday), or should I space the study sessions out? I know Anki uses spaced repetition. Does this mean my study session should be spaced out in larger rest intervals, or does it mean I should study everyday but the card-pushing mechanism of Anki is the actual spaced repetition?

Thank you guys in advance for reading and for helping me.

1. 1 Posted by etapley on 10 Sep, 2015 04:31 AM

Starting with question 3: Anki does the spacing. You study as close to daily as you can manage, getting your numbers of cards to review down to 0 every day if you can. That way, you'll learn the most per hour of study that Anki can arrange for you.

The reason you're having trouble with your twice-weekly quizzes is that Anki is set up to ensure long-term learning, not short-term. You can still use Anki for short-term learning, but you'll need to use a filtered deck. Filtered decks are something I have little experience with, so someone else will need to help you if you need help here.

Your point #1 isn't really a problem, as you'll see when your final exam rolls around. It just doesn't help you for tomorrow's quiz.

If I had quizzes on new information twice weekly, I might study the new information outside of Anki. I would still use Anki, but more for long-term retention.

2. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:54 PM.

3. Damien Elmes re-opened this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 10:50 PM

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac