grouping 5 cards into a sequence and presenting in order each time

rhetorically

04 Aug, 2015 10:03 PM

A.
How do I make a set of say 5 cards to learn 5 sequential steps of something for example managing status epilepticus. If I can't correctly recall any one step in order in the entire sequence I want the whole sequence (set of 5 cards) to always be grouped and presented to me again, in order again from the first card to last, at a later time.

B.
The above scenario was about studying cards in sequential steps under a particular topic. Next I would like to see all two dozen cards or so on metabolic and enzyme deficiencies in one sitting until all these cards are matured.

I have one deck of ~1200 cards into 4 subdecks. All my cards essentially come at me randomly but I want to focus on some topics sometimes. Not familiar with organizing things and scared of doing something to lose or corrupt my deck.

Does anki have these functions to help me study more effectively?

Mahalo!
R

1. 1 Posted by Vit on 05 Aug, 2015 01:04 AM

Hi, R

In the Browser, display cards related to the 'epilepticus' sequence -- i assumed you tagged them 'epilepticus' -- by
    entering this search string: tag:epil*
    Click on the 'Created' column header to sort selected cards.
    Are sorted cards in the order you want them to be presented ?

Check other 24 sequences.
    Are you using the Basic One card Note Type ?

2. 2 Posted by etapley on 05 Aug, 2015 01:38 PM

For scenario B, you can use a filtered deck. You'll need to add tags to the cards you want to study, then make a filtered deck using that tag. I don't know what you mean by matured, but you can certainly focus on that topic that way.

Scenario A is tougher. Sometimes it's easier to do things outside of Anki (just in you head or from a text file or index card, reviewing the order). Are you already displaying the whole series of five steps as the answer when you are studying the individual steps?

There may be a way to do A but I don't know it.

3. 3 Posted by Vit on 06 Aug, 2015 03:53 PM

Hi R.

Does anki have these functions to help me study more effectively?

Yes, but answer my questions first so I would know which one to recommend;
    i do not want to overwhelm you with many options since you are new to Anki.

4. 4 Posted by A on 10 Aug, 2015 04:29 PM

How do I make a set of say 5 cards to learn 5 sequential steps of something for example managing status epilepticus. If I can't correctly recall any one step in order in the entire sequence I want the whole sequence (set of 5 cards) to always be grouped and presented to me again, in order again from the first card to last, at a later time.

Are you referring to something similar to an enumeration that must always be presented in order?, i.e., if you fail to answer one, you repeat the entire five cards? (interval resets to zero). This is not possible with Anki for logical reasons but I have an idea on how to do what you want using a workaround but I'd like to confirm first. You can't do this by binding 5 cards though because that's impossible as explained in the Anki manual, you'll have to create them from scratch.

Do note though that this might be a logical solution for a few cards that must be strictly learned in order but if you intend do that with a huge set of cards, you'll get overwhelmed by the number of times you'll have to press again. It is a huge downside of enumeration that you'll have to relearn everything when you get even one element wrong.

Choosing between Non -/ overlapping Image Occlusions (http://tmbb.bitbucket.org/image-occlusion-2.html#mozTocId856452) might be more effective for most cases, but yeah... I understand that some cards really need to be learned in strict order.

5. 5 Posted by rhetorically on 11 Aug, 2015 09:59 PM

thank you for the responses everyone.

lastly,how do we maintain the same text format from making the card to studying it? when making card it is left margined, then when you study it, its somehow centered. its a nice feature for things to be centered, but only in some instances.

R

6. 6 Posted by A on 12 Aug, 2015 11:21 AM

lastly,how do we maintain the same text format from making the card to studying it?

Go to Browser>Cards

Once the 'Card Types' window opens up you should see a CSS code that looks like this:

.card {
     font-family: arial;
     font-size: 20px;
     text-align: center;
     color: white;
     background-color: #282828;
    }

simply edit text-align: center; change center to left or however you like it.

For more info: http://ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#card-styling

7. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:46 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac