Prioritizing knowledge

lagos.tout

04 Aug, 2015 01:01 PM

I do a lot of self-directed learning in a variety of subjects I'm interested in. I struggle with figuring out what information within these subjects is important. I have a tendency to end up thinking just about everything is equally important. This makes learning extremely time-consuming, as you might imagine. Since I'm learning outside of the classroom, I can't benefit from the prioritization provided by copies of previous exams, other students experience, or the filtering perspective of a professor.

I'm wondering if others experience this as well, and what techniques or resources they've found helpful.

Thanks much.

1. 1 Posted by arthaey on 04 Aug, 2015 05:45 PM

One thing that helps me (when reviewing paper-based documents, anyway) is to put post-it notes on the items I think I want to add to Anki. Then I wait overnight before I type the information into Anki; often, after waiting I have a better context & perspective on what really was important vs just trivia.

The more complex the information, the longer I wait. For example, when I'm just reading a novel in a foreign language, overnight is perfect for deciding if I want to make a card from a new word. But for something from non-fiction, I wait until I'm completely done with a chapter before going back to add cards.

YMMV!

2. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:46 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac