Confused as don't see any topics

Scott

28 Jul, 2015 01:48 AM

I may be missing the boat but i don't see any topics listed? I thought there would be a library of various things to learn
and choose from but can't find? Any help most welcome . I wanted to use this for a class i am teaching. Scott

1. 1 Posted by etapley on 28 Jul, 2015 01:23 PM

There should be a button labeled "shared decks" or "get shared" or "download decks" or something like that, where you can find other users' decks to download.

I HIGHLY recommend that you view the introductory videos before doing anything. You can find them listed at the top of the manual page. Anki is very powerful but because of that can be counterintuitive and therefore confusing at first.

As someone who has been using Anki for years both for my own learning and for classes I teach, I will add that I have not found it to be nearly as useful for my students as it is for me.

Getting the decks I design to my students is part of the problem, especially since my students aren't necessarily that comfortable dealing with this sort of file. A second problem is the complexity of correcting the inevitable errors I make in the deck.

But beyond this, I have rarely been able to encourage another student to use Anki the way it is intended. If it's mandatory it's hard to enforce. If it's optional it's a rare student who actually does it consistently.

Last year I had one adult student who loved Anki for the three months she did it (before technical difficulties got in her way; after that I had to go to her home to get her going again!). One teenager used it successfully because he loved anything on the computer, and another did because his mother enforced the daily session. Others used it intermittently but lack of attention and technical difficulties caused problems. ("Oops. My hard drive crashed. Again. And no, I hadn't synched with the website.")

But it's summer now. Our class hasn't met since May. Ideally they should be still using Anki. I certainly use mine all year round. But when the students return in September, even my diligent Anki users will have a discouraging stack of cards needing to be reviewed staring them in the face, and I don't know how they will react.

I still intend to use Anki in my teaching but I just want to let you know that there are real obstacles. The better you're familiar with it from your own use, the better.

2. 2 Posted by Vit on 28 Jul, 2015 09:01 PM

Hi Scott.
    Keep in mind that you do not have to download Shared Decks -- you can preview three cards right from the list.
    You will not find anything useful there though;
    one good thing about previewing a dozen or so decks - you will see how Not design cards; majority of authors are oblivious of "The 20 rules of card design ....".

As 'etapley' stated in his eye opening review, you have to have a 'perfect' Start. Anki is a juggernaut and you have to devise the way to 'restrain' Anki so that learning is enjoyable and not in a slightest way discouraging.
    You will need 6-12 month of daily 'playing' with Anki in order to be able to :

• identify any pitfalls and keep students away from them;
    • to be able to answer any of their questions 'on-the-spot';
    • demonstrate Anki benefits;
    • find a balance between Textbook and Anki;
    • design the appropriate Note_Types, to name a few .....
  3. 3 Posted by etapley on 29 Jul, 2015 03:38 AM

I have had some good experiences with downloaded decks, myself. And choosing the best deck or two that you can find and working with it for a while will help you to judge the value of different sorts of cards, and also help you figure out whether you need to make your own decks for your class.

4. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:46 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac