Seperate decks for cards and their reverse

Graeme

16 Jul, 2015 03:55 AM

Hi,

I am studying Chinese and have just found Anki. One thing I would like to be able to do is to set up two decks - one that shows me the English and asks me for the spoken Chinese answer, and another that shows me the Chinese character and asks me for the pronunciation and the english translation.

Using the Chinese support add on (3448800906), I can enter all of the information needed for both decks when creating a new note. Is there a way to set up the two decks I want while only having to enter the information once?

Many thanks

1. 1 Posted by A on 18 Jul, 2015 02:44 PM

The Mapping of Notes (and its fields) to cards is a perfect solution to your problem.
    You won't have to create two separate decks for what you'd want to do, All you have to do is to create two Note Templates (called cards) where you'll only have to input the data once.
    Note that if you create two decks for something that essentially contains the same information, you'd miss out on a core feature of SRS (http://ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#siblings-and-burying), i.e. the burying of sibling cards.

You can set it up likes this:
    1. Go to the browser and select the deck where you'd like your cards to be.

2. Click on the "Fields" button
       The header shows the Note Type you are editing

3. You can add as many fields as you want (fields can contain any piece of distinct information)
    for example
    Character
    Reading
    Meaning
    then click close

4. You'll see that the bottom part of your browser will display the updated fields
    You can now type in the info you'd like to learn inside those fields
    e.g.
    Under Character you might type in "漢"
    Under Reading you might type in "shi/shu" (or however this is pronounced in chinese)
    Under Meaning you could type in "Chinese"

5. Now, for the fun part. Click on the "Cards" button
      Below the header, you'll see some tabs which might vary in number depending on your note type.
      If there is only one tab, that means you only have one card for that note type.
      If there's only one tab, go ahead and click the "+" button towards the far right of the tabs and name your card accordingly.

6. For your First card (under the first tab)
      you might want to format your card like this:

Front Template:
    {{Meaning}}

Back Template:
    {{FrontSide}}
    <hr id=answer>
    {{Character}}<br>
    {{Reading}}

7. For your second card (under the second tab)
    {{Character}}

Back Template:
    {{Character}}
    <hr id=answer>
    {{Meaning}}<br>
    {{Reading}}

The input inside the "{{" & "}}" refers to the name of your fields

I might have been somewhat vague, if that's the case you might find this site helpful (he's explained the structure of anki quite succinctly)
    https://eastasiastudent.net/study/anki-structure/

2. 2 Posted by vokietis on 19 Jul, 2015 05:53 PM

Hi Graeme,

A explained very well how to create two cards for one note. (Btw, that is one of Anki basics that you should *definitely* read about in the manual, if you haven’t yet.)

Still missing: The answer to your question. That’s easy, too: Click “Add” and choose the note type you’re using for your Chinese notes. The first card template should be selected. Click “More …”, then “Deck Override” and choose the deck where you’d like these cards to go to. Do the same with the second template.

I do not know whether you have to create the decks in advance. I’ve always been playing safe and doing so.

3. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:53 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac