Domain knowledge vs specific flashcards

David

30 Jun, 2015 07:46 PM

Hi -

I am a filmmaker, trying to use Anki to help with film analysis. In order to create films myself, I will watch films themselves and analyze the specific domains that made them particularly effective. These are usually very complex, and have basically limitless pieces of information for each domain.

Examples:

In a given scene:
   I can watch how the characters move about (blocking) and how it supports the emotion of the scene. E.g. two characters who are arguing might stand up, walk away from each other. Then, when they make up, they will walk toward each other.

I can observe where the camera is placed to (shot type) and how it supports the emotion of the scene. E.g. to convey someone feeling isolated, I might place the camera far away from them, revealing them small compared to the space around them.

I can observe how the color palette (color) supports the emotion of the scene. E.g. all warm (red, orange) colors are used when the main character is feeling nostalgia

Or - I need to watch the entire film, and then break down it's structure (overall film structure) to determine how that was effective. E.g. these 10 scenes were rising to a climax, then the energy was allowed to lower in these next 4 scenes, etc.

So - the question is, how to most effectively study this. I could create a separate deck (or tags) for each of these domains (i.e. blocking, shot type, color, film structure). There are a LOT of these (that was just 4 examples of many), though not infinite. The problem becomes when studying the different variations within a given domain. Take "blocking" for instance - there's an infinite variation of different ways characters move about (though - realistically, they could likely be generalized to a certain extent). And "film structure" clearly isn't something that would be formatted easily for a flashcard.

Or - I don't know if makes sense to create one card for each domain - and then study that in a spaced repetition. So on the day I see the "blocking" card I fire up a movie and watch a few scenes and observe (actively) the way the characters are blocking. This way my brain is constantly in tune with blocking. Though would spaced repetition work for this? B/c even if I became an expert in this domain, I'd still want to engage in this activity more frequently than Anki would schedule it to learn new variations.

Or - I am memorizing existing examples of blocking I have already observed and written down in separate card (which, due to the infinite amount of data, I'd soon not be looking at anything new, rather memorizing existing examples).

Apologies for the novel - but I'd love some information on best practices on how to handle this.

1. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:53 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac