Cards in learning (red) is accumulating over days about +200/day

Hörmetjan Yiltiz

22 Jun, 2015 03:19 AM

I hope this is about my configuration/preferenses rather than an Device/client issue, thus could be categorized as Effective Learning. Or it could even be a bug, and in that case, I am more than willing to file a bug report. I have read the manual for Anki and AnkiDroid several times, and looked up this forum and the google forum for AnkiDroid, but could not find an answer.

How I use

I am using AnkiDroid and Anki for Windows (under Windows 8 64 bit) at the same time, syncing data using Anki's standard sync service, and mainly using AnkiDroid to learn and review, and Anki for Windows to add decks. I am using a deck in which there are about 5000 notes to cram some English vocabulary. I am studyign everyday several times (more than three times), mostly about 09:00, 14:00, 18:00, 22:00, each time study until AnkiDroid tells me that there are nore more cards to learn at that moment, though I still have huge red numbers (more than several hundreds) indicating Learning Due cards are there.

My current configurations

Based on the default configuration, here is my modified configuration:

1. learning step: 1 10 60 300 learn in small steps, learn often
  2. New day starting at: 3 past midnight * I wake up early sometimes*
  3. Review cards limit: 9999 *review as much, or all, as possible
  4. New cards per day: 100
  5. Leech count: 10

What I see

In my AnkiDroid, I see the three indicator numbers for New cards, Learning and Review as: 100(blue), 813 (red), 24(green)
In my Anki for Windows, I see two indicator for the same deck for Due and New: 837(green), 100(blue)

The number above 800 is increasing daily now about 200 words per day so that it is well above what I could possibly handle at the moment. After waiting several minutes, Anki could show me one card, but then I learn it up (select Good several times), then Anki will have to wait another several minutes before it could show me any more cards, or about half a day to show me another bunch of cards.

What I expect to see

Each time I learn, or when it is near midnight (the end of the day), the Cards Due (numbers in red in AnkiDoird) is decresed to zero, which could happen only when AkiDroid/Anki keeps on showing cards until that number is decreased sufficiently.

What else I tried

After AnkiDroid tells me that there are no more cards to learn at that time, I tried each of the following:

1. using the review ahead feature, setting the review ahead limit to 1 day so that I could review next days cards;
  2. reducing the Learning steps from original 1 10 60 300 to 1 10;
  3. setting the day point from 3 past midnight to 0 past midnight;

None of the above changed the bahavoir: Anki keeps telling me that there are no more cards to learn though there are more than hundreds of cards in due.

1. 1 Posted by Vit on 23 Jun, 2015 11:25 PM

Hi, Hörmetjan
    Very well written question !

AnkiDroid tells me that there are no more cards to learn at that moment, though I still have huge red numbers (more than several hundreds) indicating Learning Due cards are there.

Please search Manual for the string
    Due Counts

here is my modified configuration: learning steps: 1 10 60 300 ( learn in small steps, learn often );

Bingo! Here we have 2 culprits:
    1 Too many Steps; Vocab deck should have maximum One step;
    2 Faulty concept. Supermemo: "Intervals should be as long as possible to obtain the minimum frequency of repetitions, and to achieve spacing effect, which says that longer intervals, up to a certain limit, produce stronger memories".

reducing the Learning steps from original 1 10 60 300 to 1 10; or setting the day point from 3 past midnight to 0 past midnight;
    has not changed the bahavior: Anki keeps telling me that there are no more cards to learn though there are more than hundreds of cards in due.

These changes are not retroactive; they will reduce the Red count by 50%.

Would be nice to see the Graph - the chart called Answer Buttons.
    You can make it for ANY time period ( by temporarily moving Selected cards to a Temporary deck; do not use Filtered deck - it distorts data ).

Are you learning Active and passive cards simultaneously ? If Yes, it messes up your intervals and the whole process.

2. 2 Posted by Hörmetjan Yilti... on 24 Jun, 2015 09:48 AM

I understand what you said with the faulty concept, but I do love to study in that fasion so that I would not forget a card just after 20 min (after pressing Good).

I will update with the Answer Buttons Graphs soon. I am using the Active recall method, but how is a card defined as active or passive?

3. 3 Posted by Vit on 24 Jun, 2015 09:00 PM

I do love to study in that fashion so that I would not forget a card just after 20 min

You have chosen the Steps Arbitrarily; chances are - they are not even close to what you need.
    There are easy ways to see what is your Forgetting % for the very First rep, to begin with. They depend on the way you make cards and on How you do the first rep.

how is a card defined as active or passive?

It is the same as a Recognition card - testing your ability to recognize the foreign word when you are reading; and a Production card - testing your ability to produce ( recall) the word while speaking. These terms do not come to play if only the Basic Note_Type is utilized.

4. 4 Posted by Hörmetjan Yilti... on 25 Jun, 2015 07:59 AM

​I have simply inported an Shared Deck, so I did not see the
    Recognition/Production note types. Are you sure they are *implemented
    *card/note
    types rather than somethign that involves the way I use them as?​

5. 5 Posted by Vit on 25 Jun, 2015 05:15 PM

Sorry i was not clear.
    I did not say 'Production NOTES'; it is Cards not the Notes.
    Please see more in the Manual:
    Quote:
    "it’s often desirable to make more than one card that relates to some information. For example, if you’re learning French, and you learn that the word “bonjour” means “hello”, you may wish to create one card that shows you “bonjour” and asks you to remember “hello”, and another card that shows you “hello” and asks you to remember “bonjour”. One CARD is testing your ability to recognize the foreign word, and the other CARD is testing your ability to produce it.

6. 6 Posted by Hörmetjan Yilti... on 26 Jun, 2015 01:38 AM

Ok, so it is the NOTEs with two sides. Thanks! I will try reducing the
    steps to defaults, then using this method.

祝好,
    ========================
    He who is worthy to receive his days and nights is worthy to receive* all
    else* from you (and me).
                                                     The Prophet, Gibran Kahlil

7. 7 Posted by Vit on 26 Jun, 2015 08:07 PM

There is Damien's recommendation for the situation similar to yours -- please see the post

8. 8 Posted by Vit on 26 Jun, 2015 08:08 PM

Sorry, i hit wrong button.
    The post title is:
    Please help me with LAPSES.....

9. 9 Posted by Hörmetjan Yilti... on 27 Jun, 2015 10:55 AM

​Great, thanks! I will check the post out.​

10. System closed this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 12:01 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac