Is Anki valid for a set of topics?

enrbarcan

09 Mar, 2015 11:13 PM

I made this discussion private before by mistake, so don't delete this discussion please!

---------

Hi!

I've started using Anki recently to memorize a set of topics. I plan to pass every lesson of every subject to questions in Anki. I think is a good way to memorize everything and review it later. The point is that with just one lesson, I've made 733 cards. But all of the cards are clozes, so really, there are just 300-400 questions. I think that I'll be able to pass the entire set of topics to Anki in a few months, but I have two questions for the people who is familiarized with Anki and knows a lot more than me.

1. Is it viable? I don't want to do such a hard work for nothing. If with just one lesson I got 733 cards... And it could be around 250 lessons... I'm not sure if is the best way to learn all of it, but I think that if I can learn it with Anki, I'll probably remember most lessons perfectly. The "normal mode studyng" doesn't work for me, I get bored very soon hahahah

2. How much new cards should I learn each day? Maybe 50? 100? And do you think I'll have problems with reviweing such amount of cards?

Thank you so much for all the help you can bring me, and excuse me for my bad English!

1. 1 Posted by ZapBeeb on 10 Mar, 2015 12:36 PM

It looks a lot of card to me, to put this in perspective, i spend an average of 10 minutes reviewing for a deck with 5 new cards per day.

2. 2 Posted by ZapBeeb on 10 Mar, 2015 12:39 PM

Sorry i mixed two different things.

1) 733 cards per lesson seems a lot to me.

2) 5 cards=10-13 minutes

3. 3 Posted by Vit on 11 Mar, 2015 04:05 AM

Having this info will help to answer your questions more specifically:
    * Can you attach a small .apkg file ( 50 - 100 ) Notes ? * When is your exam ? * How many Subjects do you have * Have you ever had an exposure to the Subject * Can you list the Interval Options for New, Review, Lapsed cards * Have you tried other Note Types * Do you have a printed Textbook * Can you attach the Chart "Answer Buttons"

4. 4 Posted by enrbarcan on 11 Mar, 2015 06:26 PM

Well, I made the Lesson 1 again, doing less clozes and more basics cards (with more information in them). I reduced 733 cards to 52. I tkink is a big step, but I'm not sure if it's the best. There are cards with a lot of information in them (some of them with an answer of 3-4 paragraphs). Other, are meanings and things like that, so are just a few words. I think that I can use Anki to learn (reading from the book, understand the information, and put it in a few words, makes me learn it), and then review it. The review part may not be perfect because there is a lot of information, but I think that it's on me to prioritize some lessons, and just read others.

To Vi (thanks a lot for your help, to you and ZapBeeb)t:

* Can you attach a small .apkg file ( 50 - 100 ) Notes ?
    Yes, of course, but are in Spanish, any problem with that?

* When is your exam ? *
    Next year, 1st of February. I think I'll be able to pass all the information of the subjects to questions in Anki by September.

* How many Subjects do you have?

* Have you ever had an exposure to the Subject?
    Yep, twice. I read all the subjects twice, and really studied 2-3 subjects.

* Can you list the Interval Options for New, Review, Lapsed cards?
    No, because I started a few days ago, so I'm testing the best way to make a deck.

* Have you tried other Note Types?
    I've tried clozes, basics, and inverse.

* Do you have a printed Textbook?
    Yep, one per subject.

* Can you attach the Chart "Answer Buttons?
    Uhm, you mean, an Impr. Pant.?

My cuestion is, If I have all the information of the lesson 1 on Anki, should I make the reviews with the text book and the Anki, or I can do it with just Anki?

I think that with just Anki will be a lot faster, but I'm not sure if it's the best idea.

5. 5 Posted by Vit on 11 Mar, 2015 11:29 PM

... I reduced 733 cards to 52.

Good ! The 733 did set off the bells in my head and made me to ask for more info.

I tkink is a big step, but I'm not sure if it's the best.

The Best_Method of card design is not achievable :-( It will be the never ending process of trying different things -- things you read about in the Users Forum, as well as your own 'hacks'.

Other, are meanings and things like that, so are just a few words.

I would make a separate deck "Definitions and Terms" for those. That way you can get them out of the way ( Suspending option ) after 1 -3 reps; you will encounter them during the study...

There are cards with a lot of information in them (some of them with an answer of 3-4 paragraphs).

Read #-12 rule of Supermemo tips here: http://www.supermemo.com/articles/20rules.htm ( You can see a Summary of 20 rules at the bottom of page ). Warning on Close deletion: make sure the Question does not have many clues ( NO clues is best ). My take on rules 9, 10 -- avoiding Sets ) : make sure to read their ( ".. if you can ..." ); if YOU think you need them -- use them ( I devised a method to keep the cards of a set TOGETHER ).

I think that I can use Anki to learn (reading from the book, understand the information, and put it in a few words, makes me learn it), and then review it.

That is exactly what the SRS process is.

The review part may not be perfect because there is a lot of information, but I think that it's on me to prioritize some lessons, and just read others.

You must 'ruthlessly' reduce the Answer using 20 rules.
    I guess your Answers are long because you make cards BEFORE you Learn the Chapter !
    Notice that at the second reading it goes faster because some info is already in ! So, as 20 Rules suggest: Understand first -- then make cards and they WILL be shorter; and you will reduce the number of Questions, too ( as you did go from 733 to 52 ).

My question is, If I have all the information of the lesson 1 on Anki, should I make the reviews WITH the text book AND Anki, or I can do it with just Anki?

!! This is what I do ! That is why i asked you about Textbooks ! I use the book only at the start, for a few reps. My Answer side has the Page number and the Sentense(s) number(s). And what i do in the book makes my wife cringe :-) I cross off the idiotic empty passages; redundanr words - all that junk which is always present.
    That way when i doMy Reps in Anky - i have less 'words' to read. Next step, after 1-3 reps I am ready to type the Condensed answer ( 20 Rules !) in my OWN words ( easier to remember ).

• Can you attach a small .apkg file ( 50 - 100 ) Notes ? Yes, of course, but are in Spanish, any problem with that?

Darn! Send it anyway < but the Latest version of course - 52 cards

• How many Subjects do you have? 17.

Keep them in separate decks - to start with; you can always mix 2-3 for 'variety' .... WARNING: each Deck should have it's own Options_Group ! If you see the red Warning - figure out why and fix it.

• Have you ever had an exposure to the Subject? Yep, twice. I read all the subjects twice, and really studied 2-3 subjects.

Good, It will hepl to make your card's contents free of ;chaff' '.

• Can you list the Interval Options for New, Review, Lapsed cards? No, because I started a few days ago, so I'm testing the best way to make a deck.

My tip would be: study cards as soon as you made 10 or so; set an alarm to, let's say 20 min, and see how many cards you'd fail; tally the results over .... 50 new cards. Adjust the Timer accordingly - aiming at 95-98 % retention on New cards.

On the Default setting: they are not optimal for YOU !!!! If you can study New / Learning cards 2-3 times a day -- DO IT ! But experiment with Steps and (First Graduating ) Intervals ( which are in Review Tab, Good and Easy. Your experiment will pay off. You have to keep track of your Retention score ( Failed and Total cards ) on paper
    ( or inside Anki in a card "Retention"; tag that card with word Retention and you will find it instantly ).

• Have you tried other Note Types? I've tried clozes, basics, and inverse.

Keep in mind -- there are multiple cards Note_Types.
    Also very useful are Browser and Filtered decks. And reading the user forums.
    And Add-ons -- can not do without.
    And Hints.

• Can you attach the Chart "Answer Buttons? Uhm, you mean, an Impr. Pant.?

Decks screen; upper right corner; chart-like icon ( mouse-over will say "...Statistics" ). You will see minimum 3 useful charts.

Do your Subjects entail Images ?

Happy digesting; ask, ask :-)
    Good luck; keep me posted.
    Vit

6. 6 Posted by enrbarcan on 13 Mar, 2015 01:12 PM

Thanks sooooo much for your help, it's very helpful!! : )

I would make a separate deck "Definitions and Terms" for those. That way you can get them out of the way ( Suspending option ) after 1 -3 reps; you will encounter them during the study...

Yep, I planned to put the tag "Definitions" on them, and when I finish with all the subjects, make a filtered deck. And the same with tags like "Authors" or "Syndromes". For example, I can have a deck named "Lesson 1", and a few of cards with the "Definition" tags on it. Do you think I should make a differente deck for them?

Read #-12 rule of Supermemo tips here: http://www.supermemo.com/articles/20rules.htm ( You can see a Summary of 20 rules at the bottom of page ). Warning on Close deletion: make sure the Question does not have many clues ( NO clues is best ). My take on rules 9, 10 -- avoiding Sets ) : make sure to read their ( ".. if you can ..." ); if YOU think you need them -- use them ( I devised a method to keep the cards of a set TOGETHER ).

You must 'ruthlessly' reduce the Answer using 20 rules. I guess your Answers are long because you make cards BEFORE you Learn the Chapter ! Notice that at the second reading it goes faster because some info is already in ! So, as 20 Rules suggest: Understand first -- then make cards and they WILL be shorter; and you will reduce the number of Questions, too ( as you did go from 733 to 52 ).

Here is my big dilemma. In order to not create 733 cards, I put a lot more of information on each one, and I ended making 52 cards. But, the rules say that I should separate the information into small blocks, because it'll be easier for me to learn and review it. So, I don't know what to do hahaha. My lessons are full of big concepts that, if I separate it in small questions, would make me do a lot of cards (not 733, but probably 200-300 per lesson).

And yes, as you said, I've been doing the cards before I learn the chapter. Now I see it. So what I think I should do is:

• Read the chapter once, or twice. Cross off the idiotic empty passages; redundant words, as you do (great tip).

• Study the chapter. Then, pass the chapter to Anki on my own words when possible (and with mnemonic techniques).

• Use the wording rule to make answers as short as possible, althoug probably they will be long. Put the page number and the sentense(s) number(s) as you do in the answer.

• Review the chapter first with Anki and textbook, then just Anki. If in the future I don't remember an answer just with the words of the anki, I can go to the page and sentence and read it -or study- again.

I think firstly, it'll take me a long time to learn and review the chapter, but with a few reviews, I'll just use Anki, and would be able to learn new chapters while reviewing the older ones. Like a meta-reviewing hahahah

Darn! Send it anyway < but the Latest version of course - 52 cards

I'll make a new deck with the new "method" by Monday, and I'll send to you, okay?

Keep them in separate decks - to start with; you can always mix 2-3 for 'variety' .... WARNING: each Deck should have it's own Options_Group ! If you see the red Warning - figure out why and fix it.

I planned to organize the lessons in this way:

Deck:Subject 1
    Subdeck: Chapter 1
    Subdeck: Chapter 2
    ... Deck: Subject 2

And so on. What do yoy think?

My tip would be: study cards as soon as you made 10 or so; set an alarm to, let's say 20 min, and see how many cards you'd fail; tally the results over .... 50 new cards. Adjust the Timer accordingly - aiming at 95-98 % retention on New cards.

Great tip, I'll use it when I start learning/reviewing whith Anki.

Decks screen; upper right corner; chart-like icon ( mouse-over will say "...Statistics" ). You will see minimum 3 useful charts.

Oh, right. When I have the first deck made ande reviewed on Anki, I'll pass to you the graphics.

Do your Subjects entail Images ? Yep, some of them (the ones about the brain). I'll add images whit clozes to Anki.

Thanks Vit your tips are great, and I'm starting to see all the potential of Anki :)

7. 7 Posted by Vit on 13 Mar, 2015 09:39 PM

Yep, I planned to put the tag "Definitions" on them, and when I finish with all the subjects, make a filtered deck.
    For example, I can have a deck named "Lesson 1", and a few of cards with the "Definition" tags on it. Do you think I should make a different deck for them?

That is what i have said, not a Sub-deck but a separate deck; Definitions are the first thing u must learn well; you will do it in 2-4 reps; after that you will not need to study them ( only occasional 'peaking' here and there ). Being in a separate deck, the Definitions cards will not be in the way in the Main deck. Besides, Definitions cards will need a Unique Note_Type -- probably the Optional Reversed Note; also they ( Def ) will need a separate Options Group --
    with larger Intervals.

I will Study the chapter. Then, pass the chapter to Anki on my own words when possible (and with mnemonic techniques).

I would not study the entire chapter - just a smallEST possible chunk , a passage -- when they made a point or come to a conclusion, etc; a chunk, where you can pause ; contemplate ; read it again; formulate ONLY 'big' questions; write a short Answer OR , if the answer needs to be long, just type the page and the passage numbers.
    You can always add more 'detailed' questions later-- but chances are you may not need it as you progress into the subject; besides, those 'small' details will be learned along the way -- without expanding time on them at the beginning. That's how i would reduce the number of cards.

I will Use the wording rule to make answers as short as possible, although probably they will be long. Will Put the page number and the sentense(s) number(s) in the answer.

As i said in the previous paragraph, if the Answer needs to be longer, i would just type the page and the passage numbers; you can always add the answer into Anki later ( you will know when ) - but most likely then not the answer will be shorter. BTW, the speed of reading a book is faster then a computer text.

I planned to organize the lessons in this way: Deck:Subject 1
    Subdeck: Chapter 1
    Subdeck: Chapter 2
    ... Deck: Subject 2

I would keep the LONG Chapters in separate decks ; smaller 2-3 chapters ,together, also in separ decks.
    It is very convenient, at the beginning;
    later on you can always 'drag' them into the Main deck later -- if you find a valid reason for it.

I'll make a new deck with the new "method" by Monday, and I'll send to you

Please include Scheduling and Images.

I'm starting to see all the potential of Anki :)

I am glad you do; it is just the tip of the iceberg; As Soren put it, "One can twist Anki to do almost anything" :-)

What are the 17 subjects ?
    Are u planning to tackle all 17 simultaneously -- using a weekly schedule ?
    Are they all in Spanish ? These are not the idle questions :-)

**** Do not use Ease=250% !! The Intervals will run forward like a runaway train ! For Medical topics, i surmise Ease = 150% would work better -- making shorter Intervals; you can always increase Intervals with "Interval Modifier".

Here are very useful Add-ons: i use these -- no problem at all.

Show count of unseen and buried cards in deck browser. 161964983 Add more buttons ( for New cards -- extra 3 buttons ) Advanced browser 874215009 ( useful extra columns; sorting on Any column )
    Card info 2179254157 ( helpful to study -- and get confused :-) how Scheduling works )
    Quick Tag ( you need to add a tag 'on the whim' , can do it in 1 click )

Important:
    1 Do not use the same Note_Type for different Subjects; copy it and rename ( start the name with Deck name; ex: Pathology-Opt-Reversed ).

2 Use unique Options Group for each deck. Ex: Pathology-Young-Cards.

Convenience tips you can use at the beginning:
    * will do it in the next post.

Have to stop somewhere ...
    Good luck.

8. 8 Posted by enrbarcan on 15 Mar, 2015 01:05 AM

I would not study the entire chapter - just a smallEST possible chunk , a passage -- when they made a point or come to a conclusion, etc; a chunk, where you can pause ; contemplate ; read it again; formulate ONLY 'big' questions; write a short Answer OR , if the answer needs to be long, just type the page and the passage numbers. You can always add more 'detailed' questions later-- but chances are you may not need it as you progress into the subject; besides, those 'small' details will be learned along the way -- without expanding time on them at the beginning. That's how i would reduce the number of cards.

Uhm, you are saying that the question has to be "big", with all the small details, and the answer "short", with just a few words, isn't it? And by repetion, I will remember the small details of the questions, because are related to the simple answer. It all makes sense. So smart! I've been doing it on the contrary hahahah

As i said in the previous paragraph, if the Answer needs to be longer, i would just type the page and the passage numbers; you can always add the answer into Anki later ( you will know when ) - but most likely then not the answer will be shorter. BTW, the speed of reading a book is faster then a computer text.

That's right, the speed of reading is very important, and let my eyes have some rest of a screen.

I would keep the LONG Chapters in separate decks ; smaller 2-3 chapters ,together, also in separ decks. It is very convenient, at the beginning; later on you can always 'drag' them into the Main deck later -- if you find a valid reason for it.

Great tip!

What are the 17 subjects ? It's all about Psychology, for an exam like the IMR.
    Are u planning to tackle all 17 simultaneously -- using a weekly schedule ? Yep, I've made a weekly schedule for the next months. I think Anki will help me to review the learned subjects or chapters, and I find it a more atracttive way of studying and reviewing, than the "traditional" way.
    Are they all in Spanish ? Yep.

1 Do not use the same Note_Type for different Subjects; copy it and rename ( start the name with Deck name; ex: Pathology-Opt-Reversed ). I'll do it, but, why? Is it a way to find cards easier?

2 Use unique Options Group for each deck. Ex: Pathology-Young-Cards. Yep, that's important for the intervals, isn't it?

Convenience tips you can use at the beginning: will do it in the next post. Have to stop somewhere ...
    Hahaha thank you so much for this advanced class for dummys like me, it's being really helpful =).

9. 9 Posted by Vit on 15 Mar, 2015 01:52 AM

1 Do not use the same Note_Type for different Subjects; copy it and rename ( start the name with Deck name; ex: Pathology-Opt-Reversed ).
    Is it a way to find cards easier?

Different Subjects will require diff Fields; in a short while, u will 'discover' the need for fields othr then Front Back. And when u start 'experimenting' you avoid messing up the Note_Types for other Subjects.

2 Use unique Options Group for each deck. Ex: Pathology-Young-Cards.
    Yep, that's important for the intervals, isn't it?

Very !!! A not 'realistic' ( too short / long ) REVIEW and LAPSED cards interval steals your time; my feeling, 'shorter' Invls do more harm then the longer once. New cards, you will have 6 (!) choices - thanks for the Add-on.

10. 10 Posted by enrbarcan on 16 Mar, 2015 10:46 PM

Here is the three Decks that I started with Chapter 1. One is the chapter ("Prueba 2"); another for definitions ("Definiciones"), and the last one, for differences between some concepts that look similar ("Diferencias"). When I start having some decent number of cards in review, I'll show you the statistics.

I' haven't made a real schedule yet, I'm studyng Monday-Friday, about 6 hours a day, but I'll make more hours, and of course, when I mastered the Anki, more Anki hahahah

Say aaaaaall thing you think are worng (I'm sure there'll be a lot).

Again, thanks for all your help, Vit =)

11. 11 Posted by Aleksej on 17 Mar, 2015 12:55 PM

Vit, please learn to use quotemarks correctly. Your text should not be marked or indented (except for what the "code block" markup does). Use Preview.

12. 12 Posted by Aleksej on 17 Mar, 2015 12:56 PM

Vit, please learn to use quotemarks correctly.

I mean: use it like everybody else does and consistently.

13. 13 Posted by Aleksej on 17 Mar, 2015 12:59 PM

Example (Markdown also requires blank lines between levels):

great-grandfather

grandfather

father

your new text for this message

14. 14 Posted by Vit on 19 Mar, 2015 11:18 PM

Thank you, Alexej , for taking time to show How to do it.

15. 15 Posted by Vit on 21 Mar, 2015 12:14 AM

Hi enrbarcan.
    Here are my thoughts on your deck Prueba-2.
    Open the deck ( attached ) and Preview it while reading this.

> You probably already deleted this duplication --> {{Anverso}}
    <div style='font-family: Arial; font-size: 20px;'>{{Anverso}}</div><br>
    Tags: {{Tags}} This is to show you that u can display Tags for ref.

Original card:

QUESTION:
    Capa/Estrato de la mem. impermeable a mol. hidrosolubles, q tiene dos estratos, formada por lípidos con cabeza hidrofílica (orientada al medio) y cola hidrofóbica (al interior), q los hay de 3 tipos: fosfolípidos, colesterol y glicolípidos (estrato externo).

- the question is too long;
    - seems like u would like to keep this info together; you can do it in multiple-cards Note_Type ( as shown below ). If it is not important -- four Basic cards would work fine.

Card2:
    Frt: Lipids. What are they ? ( 2 points )
    Back: 1. compounds forming two layers around cells; 2. amphiphilic

card3:
    F: 3 classes of Lipids
    B: phospholipids, glycolipids, cholesterol.
    >Preview this card; the terms are 'invisible' (except the First letter) until u click on a word.
    The words color is the same as the background color.

card4:
    F: ? polar , non-polar ?
    B: one end soluble in water
    another one soluble in fat

card5:
    F: ? amphiphilic
     B: one end soluble in water ('polar');
     other one -- in fat ('nonpolar').
    ------------------------

Close deletion Original Note:
    Dentro del citoesqueleto, hay 3 tipos de filamentos proteínicios:
    {{c1::Microfilamentos o filamentos de actina}}, que
    {{c2::da propiedades contráctiles a las células (movilidad)}}..........

I would replace the Closes with Basic Multiple Questions Basic Note_Type:

>Question: Within the cytoskeleton , there are 3 types of filaments proteínicios.
    >Answer:
    Show answer1
    Show answer2
    Show answer3

In addition, 3 more Basic Notes required ( they are not in my deck ):
    Front: Microfilamentos o filamentos de actina}},
    Back: da propiedades contráctiles a las células (movilidad)}}.

F: Microtúbulos (cilios, flagelos, y centriolos) (tubulina)}},
    B: ransportan orgánulos celulares y forman el huso mitótico (en la mitosis)

And the 3rd one...

16. 16 Posted by Andre on 28 Mar, 2015 11:47 PM

17. 17 Posted by enrbarcan on 06 Sep, 2015 04:55 PM

Hi Vit!

Long time no post! I give up of studying and creating cards at the same time, because at the end of the day I realized I've donde nothing good. I didn't study properly, and I didn't create the number of cards that I planned. So i quit studying for the moment, and just create cards.

And here I am. I made 15750 cards. Most of it is a one-line-question, and two-lines-answer (there are some that the ansmwer is just a word, and others that has 4 o 5 lines of answer. I know, it's a lot of text, but it was necesary in order to the text make sense).

Si, now "all I have to do" (hahahahah) is study from here to January. Study a lot, actually. I can use de whole day to study, so I can dedicate it a lot of hours. I have classes on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, so I thought that my best shot is to study new cards three days per week (Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday), and use the rest of the days just for reviewing the cards (Sunday is not the perfect day for studying haha). I would have to study about 300 cards per day during three days (about 50 cards per hour), and the rest of the week just for reviewing and the classes.

What do you thing? In my opinion, on one hand those three days are going to be very hard, but in the other hand with that amount of cards is better to have much days of reviewing instead of studying.

Thanks for all your help. Remember the cards you show me? The ones that are a lot of basic cards in one? I renamed as "Vit-multi-bascis" hahahah.

Again, excuse my English.

18. 18 Posted by Vit on 10 Sep, 2015 06:20 PM

Hi, enrbarcan .

I can use the whole day to study... I have classes on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday...
    ... I thought that my best shot is to study New cards three days per week (Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday), and use the rest of the days just for reviewing...

I do not think so.

_ Potential problem: The cards you are going to Learn on Monday will be Reviewed, first time, in 3 days, on Thursday; for the Complex Topics, Interval =3d could be too big, thus generating a lot of Failed Reviews !!

You have tons of cards, so you must be as efficient as you can; the Goal is not to allow cards to fade in your memory ( after the class ). I'd continue Learning { i assume you will have learned something while in the class :-) } the material intrododuced in the class ASAP ( because the memory fades very fast )-- on the 'class' day and on every day afterwords when Anki tells you ( until cards graduate ); when cards graduate, follow Anki schedule and try to learn all cards from the ALL previous lessons hence. Goal-2: do not let cards become Overdue.

_ When i say 'follow Anki schedule' i assumed that you CHANGED ALL DEFAULTS to the numbers YOU need. I did and found it very helpful, for the first few weeks, to keep track of my retention scores ( for the FIRST Step and first review rep only ) daily ( for New cards - score for the Step-1, whatever it is ); for the First Review - score for an Interval for Good button.

I would have to study 300 cards per day during three days ( 50 cards per hour), and the rest of the week just for reviewing and the classes. What do you think?

_ How did u come up with 50 & 300 cards?
    In order to fully utilize time spent in classes, u must firmly learn the previous lesson(s), don't you? If so, the amount of cards to learn will be determined by how well you learned ALL cards from ALL previous lessons. And since u will have more then one lesson per day, u may be ovewhelmed; but Anki has some ways to mitigate the situation, and you will have to decide which methods to use.

_ Since you have an unwavering determination and a cheerful disposition :-) -- everything is possible!
    _ In a month, you should be able to determine if Anki + Textbook approach ( similar to Incremental Reading ) is a good option. And what would be a good distribution of time spent on Textbook and Anki; maybe 70 -- 30 ? .... meaning: learn using marked up text in the books; make most important cards; do not spend time typing long Answers in Anki; use Anki for scheduling and monitoring your retention and adjusting Options when performance is too bad or too good.

In my opinion, .... with that amount of cards is better to have many more days of Reviewing instead of studying = Learning New cards.

_ The amount of new cards to learn will be determined as i described in previous paragraph; but you can Prioritize cards ( pr-1, pr-2 ) and learn prior-1 cards and keep pr-2 cards in limbo until ... you find an extra time.

In Review phase, you have to review whatever Anki throws at you ( based on Options YOU defined ) because u do not have a luxury to fall behind.

Thanks for all your help. Again, excuse my English.

I have no problem w your English.
    Glad to help.

19. 19 Posted by enrbarcan on 10 Sep, 2015 08:33 PM

_ Potential problem: The cards you are going to Learn on Monday will be >Reviewed, first time, in 3 days, on Thursday; for the Complex Topics, Interval =3d >could be too big, thus generating a lot of Failed Reviews !!

You have tons of cards, so you must be as efficient as you can; the Goal is not to >allow cards to fade in your memory ( after the class ). I'd continue Learning { i >assume you will have learned something while in the class :-) } the material >intrododuced in the class ASAP ( because the memory fades very fast )-- on the >'class' day and on every day afterwords when Anki tells you ( until cards graduate >); when cards graduate, follow Anki schedule and try to learn all cards from the >ALL previous lessons hence. Goal-2: do not let cards become Overdue.

I didn't explain myself properly. The classes are to review the things that I'm studying, so I won't have to make new cards (well maybe I'll create some cards, but not a significant number of them). For example, if the first week I have classes of Neuroanatomy, I will study the decks I've made before with cards about that lessons. So, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I would study with Anki + Textbook, and Thursday I would review with the Anki schedule and the classes.

My point is to learn new cards on an intensive studying during three days, and then I would have the rest of the week to review it, with Anki + Textbook + Classes. As you say, the first review would be on Thursday, but if I fail, the next would be on Friday, and if I fail again, on Saturday. By that time the easy cards would be learned, and I would still have Sunday to study the most difficults.

But, that's just a thought. I trust more your experiencie with Anki. Do you think I should Learn and Review every day of the week?

_ When i say 'follow Anki schedule' i assumed that you CHANGED ALL >DEFAULTS to the numbers YOU need. I did and found it very helpful, for the first >few weeks, to keep track of my retention scores ( for the FIRST Step and first >review rep only ) daily ( for New cards - score for the Step-1, whatever it is ); for the >First Review - score for an Interval for Good button.

Yep, I changed every deck and subdeck. I will keep track of my retention scores as you say, it'll be very helpful.

_ How did u come up with 50 & 300 cards? In order to fully utilize time spent in classes, u must firmly learn the previous >lesson(s), don't you? If so, the amount of cards to learn will be determined by how >well you learned ALL cards from ALL previous lessons. And since u will have >more then one lesson per day, u may be ovewhelmed; but Anki has some ways to >mitigate the situation, and you will have to decide which methods to use.

I divided the amount of cards between the days I've until the exam = 300. Then, I divided 300 between the hours of studying per day (6 hours to study, another 4 to review) = 50.

Maybe I should start studying a week earlier the decks that i'll see on classes the week before, because I'd have learned and reviewed the cards by then, so I'd fully utilize time spent in classes.

In Review phase, you have to review whatever Anki throws at you ( based on >Options YOU defined ) because u do not have a luxury to fall behind.

Yes, I think that's very important.

Thanks again, Vit.

20. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:43 PM.

21. Damien Elmes re-opened this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 10:50 PM

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac