'Three-sided' cards

Brian

10 Feb, 2015 07:40 PM

Is it possible to create cards with multiple 'sides'? For example, when learning languages such as Chinese or Japanese it is helpful to have CHARACTER / MEANING/ PRONUNCIATION all on different 'sides' of a card. Especially with Japanese, where one kanji can have many different pronunciations and meanings, it would be good to have cards with 'multiple' sides. I have tried using the 'Fields' option, but so far I have not succeeded in creating the kind of card I would like.

1. 1 Posted by Vit on 10 Feb, 2015 10:46 PM

Hi, Brian.
    I attached a small deck ( 2 Notes, 7 cards -as you wanted them ).
    Feel free to ask for details.

PS. You can experiment ( and you should - to see how Anki works - without being afraid to wreck your work decks ) ... can experiment by creating the second User Profile:
    1.. File
    2. Switch Profile
    3. Add
    4. Name it 'Anki-test'.

Happy study !

2. 2 Posted by Brian on 12 Feb, 2015 02:51 PM

I am afraid I'm getting nowhere with this. Each time I am taken to 'Congratulations!....etc etc'. What I think should be really simple tasks are so difficult! For example:
    (1) to restart the deck; I go to the Customise window as prompted, but I don't see an obvious option there for how to repeat what I've just done.
    (2) I haven't been able to find the 'third' side that I asked for
    (2) I tried to use 'browse' then to use the edit function. I thought I was editing Card 1 and ended up with what looked like three identical card
    (3) I tried to delete just one of these cards, and now all the cards have been deleted it seems.
    Help!!! Can't the procedure be made MUCH MORE simple? Perhaps others have created templates that I can use easily?

3. 3 Posted by Brian on 12 Feb, 2015 03:42 PM

(1) I have tried several times with the set you sent me, and experimented as you suggest. When I hit 'browse' I see a screen with 3 cards. I edit card 1 and the other two cards seem to become identical. When I edit card 2 this overwrites card 1. In other words, the three cards all seem to become identical when I edit one of them.
    (2) In addition, I am not sure that the deck you sent me did what I want.
    (3) I have also searched the Anki database and found a Japanese language template, but it doesn't do what I'm looking for, either, as far as I can see.
    My objective is a 'three sided' card; I'll use one Chinese words as a very simple example:
    First side: 我 (character)
    Second side: I, me (meaning)
    Third side: wǒ (pronunciation)
    Obviously refinement could be added. For example, I may know the meaning and be sure of the pronunciation; in this case I would not need to look at the third side. So there could be a prompt, 'skip pronunciation' on the second side. But this would be a luxury. I'd be happy just with a very basic 'three-sided' card, or some other equally good solution. What I want to avoid is to have both the meaning AND pronunciation on the same side (which is what happens with the Japanese language template I found in the data base).

4. 4 Posted by Vit on 12 Feb, 2015 08:01 PM

Hi Brian.
    Let's go thru this point-by-point.
    "Each time I am taken to 'Congratulations!....etc etc'."

This screen is confusing, i agree, but only to Users who did not read the Manual.
    This message : "To study outside of the normal schedule, click the Custom Study button below" means that you MAY Custom study this deck if you want to. But this option is not for you, yet; you have to learn Basic Anki ways first. So, ignore this for now.

1. "What I think should be really simple tasks are so difficult! "
      Answer: It is very simple; you just opening the wrong door.

3 (1) to restart the deck, I go to the Customise window as prompted, ......
    A: Do you mean "Custom Study " ? Again, this is the wrong place; there is very easy way.

4 (2) I haven't been able to find the 'third' side that I asked for.
    A: I attached a screen view with instructions on how to see "what you wanted' using Preview.

5 Perhaps others have created templates that I can use easily?
    A: Yes, I did; just follow the instructions; and RECORD your clicks, just in case if you get 'lost'.

5. System closed this discussion on 23 Feb, 2016 12:01 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac