best chinese beginner deck?

konnekt

27 Jan, 2015 09:10 AM

i'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask...

which mandarin chinese deck is considered the most useful for english speakers to begin with?

1. 1 Posted by thomas.tempe on 07 Feb, 2015 04:21 AM

Hi konnekt,

it may seem counter-intuitive, but I highly recommend you don't start with a ready-made deck. I tried that, and it feels like learning the phone book.

You have to get a feel for each word or character you learn, and for that, it's best if you start with lessons, and add vocabulary as you learn it. The effort you spend fumbling typing chinese is time well spent.

I recommend you use the Chinese Support add-on (full disclosure: I'm the main developer).

If you're living in China, you can carry around a notepad, and take down the words you meet, then input them in the evening. You can also invest some time looking them up on http://image.baidu.com, expecially for the most abstract ones ; the more context you have, the faster you'll learn.

If you're not attracted by traditional lessons books, I suggest you have a look at Heisig's Remember the Hanzi book series. It's a very peculiar method, and only teaches characters (you need some additional language exposure), but together with Anki, it will most likely give you a very strong foundation in a very short time if you're willing to invest the effort.

Have fun,

Thomas

2. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:42 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac