Answer speed ; Interval accuracy; Perfect Repetition

Vit

17 Jan, 2015 03:44 AM

Hi all.
Would be nice to hear what other users think about these 3 related topics.

1. I am puzzled by the fact that some users answer the questions in One second or less - hitting the Easy button.
    It indicates to me that the Intervals are way too short, thus reps seem useless -- for the long term memory. Am i wrong ?

2. Perfect repetition. It is defined as an Interval which requires some effort to recall the answer.
    My question is -- for how long one should try to recall an item ? It seems to me that 5 sec is reasonable - considering it happens once in a blue moon. May the repetitions answered Hard be called the Perfect Reps ?

Thank you.

1. 1 Posted by ZapBeeb on 17 Jan, 2015 10:36 AM

I gave some thought on this, but i have not come with an answer that totally satisfies me.
    Well, the more you take to answer, the harder the question is.
    So, in general, if the answer comes in less than X, one should hit Easy, if it comes in more than X but less than Y, it's Good, and so on.

The questions are, i think, how short the intervals should be, and if there should be a time limit short enough (i mean seconds, not minutes or hours) that you could still remember the answer but you have to press "Again" anyway.

Can the brain be trained to recall faster? Are we allowing it to get "lazy" by waiting too much?
    I don't know...

2. 2 Posted by Inaka on 17 Jan, 2015 11:11 AM

Question 1: Yeah, I'd say the intervals are too short…
    Question 2: …because there should indeed be some effort required!
    The time I give myself to answer the question strongly depends on "real life" use of that fact. I.e. if it's some glyph I want to remember just for fun, I sometimes let myself think 15 seconds or so. If it's vocab that will be frequently needed, I press "1" after the time a conversation would get bumpy, for important words (conjunctions…) even faster.

3. Vit closed this discussion on 21 Jan, 2015 06:48 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac