Fifty words a day, is that too much ?.

Sabrina

02 Jan, 2015 09:12 PM

For my case : let's say that on average, a word is defined by a sentence of approximately 150 characters.
I know that each person has their own memory : but I think that my ability to memorize is "normal", not too bad, not excellent.
Let's also say that the complexity of the various words definitions is normal.

My goal is to learn more than 50 words per day, is that too much ?

1. 1 Posted by Aleksej on 03 Jan, 2015 11:24 AM

http://ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#new-cards says "Studying new cards will temporarily increase the number of reviews you need to do a day, as freshly learnt material needs to be repeated a number of times before the delay between repetitions can increase appreciably. If you are consistently learning 20 new cards a day, you can expect your daily reviews to be roughly about 200 cards/day."

Is 500 reviews a day OK? Will you have time left for more important parts of learning?

Especially if you are new to SRS or http://www.supermemo.com/articles/20rules.htm , do you have time to think while adding cards, and format your cards well enough not to suddenly want to radically reformulate thousands of cards in a few weeks?

2. 2 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 04 Jan, 2015 03:18 PM

I would add that how well your cards are formulated is a very important factor. 500 easy cards might be a large amount, but if your studies are your main focus, that number might be quite reasonable. 500 difficult cards (long, complex, wordy, multiple answers) might be unbearable. If you’re mostly studying off definitions, make them concise and put contextual information on the front of the card that makes sure that you are only thinking about one sense of the word. Example sentences are even better.

In my experience the times-10 rule is slightly overstated, at least for relatively short-term periods of study (a few months). But it’s better to be prepared for more cards than you end up having to study than to end up with more cards than you can handle. If it turns out that your reviews mount higher than you want, you can also stop adding new cards for a little while; it may take a couple of weeks for the number to really settle down, but this will give you a break.

Finally, it’s better to add five cards that are easily reviewed and remembered and cover something important every day than to add fifty irrelevant, verbose cards that contain information you never really needed. A little more time spent selecting information and writing the questions up-front will save you a lot of time down the road.

3. 3 Posted by ZapBeeb on 05 Jan, 2015 10:28 AM

I can somewhat confirm the times-10 figure too.
    In my actual leisure-time English-Italian deck i set a low limit of 5 new cards per day, and i am getting anywhere from 35 to 50 cards per day, but, as Soren points out, this will be different for you, depending on how hard the cards are.
    I can add that 50 cards take about 10 minutes. Add 5 minutes of relaxing every 25 of studying (if you are a pomodoro believer) and 500 cards translate in about two hours per day (four pomodoros).

4. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:51 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac