Categories

armatura.ebooks

26 Dec, 2014 12:59 PM

Friends, I wasn't able to find a "category" function in Anki, both the desktop and android versions. Sometimes, in order to answer a particular question, one needs to know the general theme or category of the question. Say, I am studying medical symptoms and I want to learn which disease "yellow skin" indicates. Now, in a patient with liver problems, it indicates "cholestasis", but in a patient with blood problems, it indicates "hemolysis". When being asked "yellow skin?", I have to know the category this questions belongs to - liver or blood? Of course I can tag the question "liver" or "blood", but the tag is not displayed in learning mode, it is useful only for searching or choosing particular series of questions. Adding "liver" or "blood" directly to front (and back) fields is an options, but it makes the process of adding new cards difficult and the fields - bulky and less optimal for memorization. The easiest solution would be a "display the tag during learning" option. Is there one? If not, what is the best available solution to the abovementioned problem?

1. 1 Posted by armatura.ebooks on 26 Dec, 2014 01:06 PM

I understand that adding a "hint" is also possible, but one needs to click/tap the hint to see the hidden text, and besides, if I am studying the cards in both normal and reversed direction, I have to add the hint both to Front and Back fields, which, again, makes the process of adding new cards arduous.

2. 2 Posted by mnhende2 on 26 Dec, 2014 04:39 PM

You could add this to you card design.

{{#Tags}}From: {{Tags}}{{/Tags}}

This would show the tag on the card itself, and not show it if one
    doesn't exist.

3. 3 Posted by Vit on 26 Dec, 2014 06:37 PM

Note: while i was writing my reply, mhende2 posted his :-(
    He will , probably, find some flaws in my reply -- which i would welcome.

1. Are u familiar with the SRS term 'Interference' ? If not --> http://www.supermemo.com/articles/20rules.htm
      Quote: "Interference is probably the single greatest cause of forgetting ....
      in many cases it may be impossible to predict interference at the moment of formulating knowledge. " IMO, these two diseases must be learned Together -- when u see a Yellow skin, both terms should pop-up in your head, right ?
      Moreover, the mnemonics for both ( 'Hemo' and 'chole' ) are perfect cure for interference , in this case.
    2. My template would look like this:
      FRONT
      Yellow skin 2 ( 2 means two answers )
      BACK
      cholestasis
      hemolysis

3. But if you want to learn them separately ( i would not :-) }, there are ways...

I can tag the question "liver" or "blood", but the tag is not displayed in learning mode,

it is not shown bcs u did not ask ANki to show the Tag :-) 'Tag' is a Special field ( see Manual ); the template will look like this; {{Tags}}; see my att't. But i would not advise u to use this method bcs Tags will act as a Prompt for the answer :
      when u will see the tag 'Blood' , it is easy to guess 'hemo....'

Adding "liver" or "blood" directly to front (and back) fields is an options, but it makes the process of adding new cards difficult and the fields - bulky and less optimal for memorization.

IMO, it is no more difficult than adding Tags; moreover - it is easier ( do not have to click on Tag box. But i agree with 'less optimal' due to the Prompting effect.

If you agree with learning the Symptom with ALL diseases , then the Template FRONT Yellow skin 2
    BACK
    cholestasis
    hemolysis

...will not work, obviously, for the Reversed card. Next template is what we need to study both reversed cards separately:
    FRONT
    yellow skin 2
    BACK
    cholestasis
    ANSWER-2
    hemolysis

How do you do that: Multiple Cards Note Type ( shown in the att't ).

4. 4 Posted by mnhende2 on 26 Dec, 2014 06:43 PM

Vit brings up a valuable point about interference. When you discover
    interference on specific cards it is good to adjust the info on that
    specific card. If you discover interference commonly across a note type,
    it is good to redesign the note type. Adding tags to the card could help
    with that. Vit's suggestion could help with that.

Best, mnhende2

5. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:42 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac