Running from Flash drive

Tara Vella

17 Dec, 2014 12:44 AM

Hi,

I would like to run Anki from my flash drive. I have tried following the directions for running the program from a flash drive but I don't think I am doing it right. When I double click on the anki.bat file the command prompt flashes briefly, but other than that nothing happens. Is there a video tutorial for this process somewhere, or maybe more detailed instructions for people who have more basic computer skills?

Thank you so much!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 17 Dec, 2014 08:07 AM

I'm afraid this is something we don't officially support, so I'll move your question to the community area and perhaps someone else will chime in.

2. 2 Posted by togobo on 17 Dec, 2014 11:49 AM

I'm not sure if the command suggested in the manual is correct. I'd try this command
    anki\anki.exe -b \ankidata
    (I'd remove the first backslash)

If this doesn't help you could enter a second command into the bat file that keeps the window open. I think you need the command PAUSE. If it's not working just google it. So your bat file should look like this:

\anki\anki.exe -b \ankidata PAUSE

3. 3 Posted by rjgoif on 23 Jan, 2015 04:43 PM

on Windows? Copy your Anki install directory onto your flash drive. Then, write a .bat file (in notepad or some other text editor, making sure it's actually a .bat and not a .bat.txt as notepad will often try to do).

The contents of your bat file:

start /b %~dp0anki\anki.exe -b %~dp0ankidata

save that bat file one directory above Anki.exe (i.e., in the same directory as the Anki folder you copied, which is the install folder from Program Files). Run the bat. Now you're running Anki from a flash drive.

4. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:42 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac