Incremental reading and content interchange

Piotr

16 Dec, 2014 09:16 PM

Hi again after a long break,

My update:

I am creating a new thread because I completely changed focus in buboflash.eu - I use it almost exclusively for incremental reading now, both from the web and (hey, hey!) pdfs.

I started building json API so in principle synchronizing content between Anki and BuboFlash should be possible, see example session at the end of the post. But somebody would need to pick it up from Anki's side so we could work towards common middle ground :-)

Content in annotations and in flashcards are just regular text/html (not something like wikitext for example), so I think Anki can import it without much tweaking, see json below.

I quickly discovered I still cannot live without regular books - at the moment I am processing "Mastering Financial Calculations", "Programming in Scala" and "Java 8 for the Impatient" + occasional definitions from Wikipedia.

I am showing pdfs here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2t_-u93CbQ We can share annotations and flashcards, but not pdfs themselves by default (you can still "show it to friend" at your discretion), because they are usually copyrighted. Certainly the pdfs I have been using are copyrighted. At least 1/3rd of my pdfs are actual paper books that I scanned myself destructively, by cutting off the back of the book and running it through a scanner with page feeder.

My learning process is running smoothly now, there are few complications that I solved already, like a need to map between physical pdf pages and logical book pages (paper books rarely have it in sync); I think once more people start using it and learn from the same books, there might be more issues to iron out.

I can actually help you more directly - if you have your favourite textbook in paper format, send it to me and I will scan it for you (destructively) and we can experiment with incremental reading. Seriously, think of it as a Christmas gift :-) Of course - unless you explicitely "show it to a friend" - only you will be able to view and download the pdf from buboflash. Alternatively just google for "scan my books in YourTown".

I know in this group incremental reading and spaced repetitions do not need introducing, but here is my newest introductory video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSyByJNiA9k&feature=youtu.be It covers flashcards (for scheduled repetitions), annotations (for incremental reading), web articles and pdfs, and searching for somebody else's flashcards and annotations.

Enjoy :-)

Piotr

PS. Example JSON session:

puchacz@bubodev01:~$ curl buboflash.eu/bubo5/start-json-session?username=PiotrWasik\&password=XXXXX
{"_s":"FWpsjAiVVsiOOkqVFFrxiKwniiTBPKazDDsICHuX","status":"OK","message":"Welcome to buboflash.eu API BETA."}

# no session ID provided - error
puchacz@bubodev01:~$ curl buboflash.eu/bubo5/json/get-dao?d=149628012
{"message":"No user logged in. Session expired?"}

# you need to provide session ID - you got it when you logged in above - example annotation
# actual annotation in GUI: http://buboflash.eu/bubo5/show-dao2?d=149632449
puchacz@bubodev01:~$ curl buboflash.eu/bubo5/json/get-dao?d=149632449\&_s=FWpsjAiVVsiOOkqVFFrxiKwniiTBPKazDDsICHuX
{"dao":{"TEXT-NAME":"","TEXT-CONTENT":"Methods in Scala are not values, but functions are.","CLASS-NAME":"SIMPLE-ANNOTATION","SERIES-ID":149632449,"CREATED-BY-USER-ID":34,"CREATED-ON":"2014/09/07 21:01","WORD-TAGS-TEXT":"scala"}}

# example flashcard
# actual flashcard in GUI: http://buboflash.eu/bubo5/show-dao2?d=149623539
puchacz@bubodev01:~$ curl buboflash.eu/bubo5/json/get-dao?d=149623539\&_s=FWpsjAiVVsiOOkqVFFrxiKwniiTBPKazDDsICHuX
{"dao":{"QUESTION-TEXT":"<html><head></head><body><span><span>In the market asset swap, the net upfront payment is </span><span style=\"background-color:lightgreen;font-weight:bold\">[...]</span><span>. Instead the notional on the Libor side equals the price of the bond and there is an exchange of notionals at maturity.</span></span></body></html>","ANSWER-TEXT":"zero","CLASS-NAME":"QA-FLASHCARD-ANNOTATION","SERIES-ID":149623539,"CREATED-BY-USER-ID":34,"CREATED-ON":"2014/07/01 20:45","WORD-TAGS-TEXT":"asset-swap finance"}}

# user 34 is me
puchacz@bubodev01:~$ curl buboflash.eu/bubo5/json/user-id-to-username?d=34\&_s=FWpsjAiVVsiOOkqVFFrxiKwniiTBPKazDDsICHuX
"PiotrWasik"

1. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:42 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac