Linking genders to colors

Jakob

13 Dec, 2014 11:46 AM

Hey Anki-Community,
I started learning Norwegian a few weeks ago and am using Anki to learn the vocab. For nouns I put a (m) for male nouns, a (f) for female nouns and a (n) for neutral nouns behind the words, but so far I'm struggling a bit with memorizing the right grammatical genders.
Therefore, I had the following idea: Im going through the few hundred cards I have already in my Anki, tag them according to their gender and then change the color of the cards according to their gender all at once. Is that somehow possible? In the video-tutorials I have seen the color of only one card is changed – which would take very long and is not very convenient..

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 13 Dec, 2014 03:02 PM

Sorry, Anki has no built-in feature for this. It would techincally be possible with some javascript, but that's outside the scope of the support we can provide here, so I'll move this to the community section.

2. 2 Posted by ospalh on 15 Jan, 2015 10:23 AM

My approach was slightly different. I have three fields, m_, w_ and s_ (German »männlich«, »weiblich« »sächlich« instead of m/f/n) and put anything (a single letter) in exactly one of them.

The coloring is then done via CSS and the mechanism for absent/present fields, using {{# NN}}/{{/ NN}}

Filling that field from existing cards can be done by clever search-and-replace in the card browser.

3. 3 Posted by etapley on 04 Feb, 2015 05:34 AM

I made three separate note types, one for each gender. I could then set the background color accordingly. (I also have a separate note type for non-nouns. Actually, I have a number of different types depending on the language and my needs.)

I don't put the color in the background of production cards because I want to quiz myself on the gender as well. But I do for recognition cards.

Actually, for my students I have begun having multiple production cards, one for the word, one for the article, and one for the gender. They say they prefer this even though it makes LOTS of cards, because each card is easier and the is less deciding about whether to mark a card wrong if they miss an article or plural form.

4. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:42 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac