Add-on translation

arthur

01 Apr, 2020 12:50 PM

Hi,

One thing which, I believe, would improve anki for non English speaking user is to have a way to translate add-on. It would be quite impractical for each add-on dev' to create a system to translate their add-ons. But I believe that if you agree, a reasonable system may emerge easily.

The easiest implementation would be to allow add-on dev to add strings in Anki the same way anki's string are added now. Then we can give our users a link to tell them where to go to translate our add-ons, and even other add-on. I believe one file by add-on would be great, this way we can easily let users know what string are required for the add-on that THEY use and not make them spend time on other add-ons unless they want to help more generally.

The problems with this approach is that it will add a huge amount of text to translate if all add-ons uses it. I personally believe that it is not a problem if some not successful add-ons are not translated. As far as my add-ons are concerned, there is no reason to translate https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/2061352905 today, which had only 32 downloads. However a translation of https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/877182321 with 17 thousands download would help a lot of people ! So I suggest limiting this translation feature to add-ons which have at least a thousand downloads.

Ideally, I would also suggest creating a feature to allows bilingual people to help translating add-ons description into mulitple language. But I fear that this one would be so much work that I can't imagine it being actually done

1. 1 Posted by Guillem Palau-S... on 01 Apr, 2020 09:05 PM

Guillem Palau-Salvà (contributor user)'s Avatar

Hi Arthur,

a while ago I proposed a community-driven add-on translation, although less detailed than yours. Interestingly enough, I cited the very same add-on :)

I do maintain Catalan and Spanish translations and I'd translate add-ons to those languages.

Let's see if this goes up on the to-do list.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac