How to translate different fields in a fast way

giovannigiovane25

17 Mar, 2020 09:07 AM

Hallo! I am learning German and I found this useful and well done deck:
 https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1386119660

I would like to know if it is possible to translate the English part, both the definition and the examples, into Italian (because I am not an English native), and if this is possible in a fast way, for example exporting those fields in a text file, translating this file with Google translate and importing it again.

I am not so familiar with Anki programming, so, sorry if I was not precise in this exposition.

Thank you in advance for you kind support and for helping me.

Ciao!

1. 1 Posted by lovac42 on 17 Mar, 2020 05:53 PM

The fastest way is to export to cvs, import to google doc, translate it and import it back to anki.

I do have a simpler solution for you: https://github.com/lovac42/RFB9000/releases But most of these online services have a speed cap. So you are forced to wait about 30sec for every 200 characters. Since this shared deck has about 1.2K notes, it should taken around 2-4 hours. Or you could translate 100 per day at the end of each study.

This is not shared on ankiweb because I don't want to flood the market with inferior machine translated share decks. But it should be fine for personal use in your case.

Note: Given that you are leaning German, you should translate the German examples into Italian and not the English into Italian. Direct translations are always preferred. And read the warning and config settings.

Feedback would be nice so I could improve my own workflow. Dare e avere...

2. 2 Posted by giovannigiovane... on 18 Mar, 2020 12:23 AM

Thank you for your kind answer.
    I exported in cvs, modified it in google sheet (with the automatic translation with the line : =googletranslate (a1;"en";"it")), then imported again in anki, and it seems that it worked:))

So, thank you very very much for your precious suggestion!

P.S. Sorry, I didn't understand this phrases I do have a simpler solution for you: https://github.com/lovac42/RFB9000/releases But most of these online services have a speed cap. So you are forced to wait about 30sec for every 200 characters. Since this shared deck has about 1.2K notes, it should taken around 2-4 hours. Or you could translate 100 per day at the end of each study.

I mean: I understand your add-on (congratulation for that idea!) but not the connection with my problem.
    Anyway, thank you again! :)

3. 3 Posted by giovannigiovane... on 18 Mar, 2020 12:25 AM

P.P.S. I decided to translate from English because the translation looked more accurate

4. 4 Posted by lovac42 on 18 Mar, 2020 02:17 AM

RE PS: The addon is a shortcut for =googletranslate (a1;"en";"it")), I made it because exporting to csv screws up my text alignments.

RE PPS:

P.P.S. I decided to translate from English because the translation looked more accurate

Why not translate both? Just because it "looked more accurate" doesn't mean it's correct.

Here's an example.
    French -> Ita

French: Déformation professionnelle
    Italian: Deformazione professionale

French -> Eng -> Ita

French: Déformation professionnelle
    English: Occupational hazard
    Italian: Rischio professionale

5. 5 Posted by wmqpmw on 18 Mar, 2020 02:08 PM

In case it's useful, if you have your sentences in a spreadsheet, DeepL will translate the document for you, and you can just realign the sentences. If you are in Europe, you have a few other options available to you as well (licensing issues, I think). The company is based in Germany and is generally regarded as having superior translation abilities to and from German. I've spent the last year translating a large number or complex Spanish sentences using both google and DeepL, and DeepL has done a much better job with figures of speech and other more subtle aspects (gender agreement, pronouns, abstract prepositions and verbal collocations). Google has recently improved Translate substantially, but if you're making a long-term learning investment, consider testing DeepL vs google and see what you think.

6. 6 Posted by giovannigiovane... on 19 Mar, 2020 11:43 PM

wmqpmw, thank you very much, this is a precious suggestion, I am hearing about this translator for the first time
    I will try it for my next translation!

lovac42 , yes, I have to admit that I did both translations and compared the results: they were not yet satisfactory, but at least they were better: thereafter, I corrected them one by one
    And the addon you posted here is a timer, not a translator: anyway, I have just found another with the translator on your profile, so, thank you!!

7. 7 Posted by giovannigiovane... on 20 Mar, 2020 12:05 AM

wmqpmw, I tried DeepL just now: it is fantastic!

8. giovannigiovane25 closed this discussion on 20 Mar, 2020 06:28 PM.

9. giovannigiovane25 re-opened this discussion on 20 Mar, 2020 06:28 PM

10. 8 Posted by wmqpmw on 04 Apr, 2020 03:38 PM

excellent - happy to help.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac