How long does it take to make the anki cards set for a - say typical 50 minutes course?

svenaerts228

17 Sep, 2019 01:44 AM

Hi, how long does it take to make the anki cards set for a - say typical 50 minutes course? And how many times and what intervals would you review the set to pass your exam, and how much faster can you review - like 5 times reviewing: review 1 the evening of the lecture once you have the anki cards I'd guess some 20 minutes to review/study, review 2: after some 6 days takes only 10 minutes, review 3 after a month takes only 7 minutes, review 4 after 3 months takes only 6 minutes, and then review 5 for your exam?
Thy, Sven - EU Science Hub - EIT - European Institute of Innovation an Technology - Horizon2020 - Erasmus+ “Digital Education Policies”

1. 1 Posted by ijg on 18 Sep, 2019 03:52 PM

no one can answer even if we could agree on what a typical 50 minutes course is: someone who types all questions with two fingers is probably slower than someone who can touch type and can also copy and paste from a script and who also uses some add-ons that speed up the note creation process.

Maybe the person who's running the ankiweb server can give some meaningful averages but you posted in a category that carries the warning "official support is not provided in this category". Though I don't see how he should know which persons entered content for a 50minutes lecture when. If you're at a university you probably get better data by requiring students in a course of yours to use anki and then you collect their stats ...

Most people use the built-in anki scheduler so that each card gets its own scheduling, so usually you don't review each card exactly five times but some more often and some less often. This might be interesting for you.

I don't see why later reviews should be faster. It's the same amount of cards you need to answer so it should always be the same amount of time. At least that's my experience.

Also the settings need to fit your needs for the exam: if the average person in this exam just remembers 50% and if your retention were 70% you would be the best student so you could aim for 70% retention ... If the average student remembers 90% you need much more ... This probably depends on how many other courses they have in a semester ... I think these calculations are very interesting.

2. 2 Posted by svenaerts228 on 22 Sep, 2019 02:00 AM

"no one can answer" - I need ball-mark numbers. Someone who can type really well and knows Anki really well. How much time would it take such a person to make the cards of a typical 50-minute university-level course? Thy

3. 3 Posted by svenaerts228 on 22 Sep, 2019 02:07 AM

"I don't see why later reviews should be faster. It's the same amount of cards you need to answer so it should always be the same amount of time. At least that's my experience." - The same amount of cards, yes, but you always get new cards added and presented to fill-up to the number of cards set the student wants to review every day = time the student gives to studying via Anki. I was referring to the same cards from the same lecture. The first time it took a student about 12 minutes to learn them, the student gets them presented back in say 4 days. But that wont' take the student 12 minutes to review those cards anymore. I would think it would only take 6 minutes? and then a month later maybe only 3 minutes? Anybody any experience with that? Thy

4. 4 Posted by ijg on 27 Sep, 2019 12:36 PM

The first time it took a student about 12 minutes to learn them, the student gets them presented back in say 4 days. But that wont' take the student 12 minutes to review those cards anymore. I would think it would only take 6 minutes? and then a month later maybe only 3 minutes? Anybody any experience with that?

This is not my experience.

apart from this: maybe try the anki subreddit.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac