Donating to Anki

Alanna

09 Apr, 2019 06:02 AM

Hello! Someone has pledged to donate to Anki on Open Collective, a platform for funding open source.

Does Anki accept donations? I poked around the website but was not able to find info about donations. If you are interested in accepting financial support from the many people who find Anki valuable, please consider claiming your Collective.

Open Collective is open source itself, and all transactions are fully transparent on the platform. We also offer fiscal sponsorship, so you don't have to worry about taxes, accounting, setting up a legal entity or bank account, etc. There's no gotcha fine print - we just take a small % of donations to fund the platform itself.

If you have any questions or want to know more, have a look at opencollective.com, docs.opencollective.com, or email me [email blocked]

Thanks for all your great work on Anki! I used the Anki method to learn Japanese myself, and I think it's so awesome that you're giving people this tool to supercharge their learning ability. All the best.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 09 Apr, 2019 09:03 AM

I'm afraid we can't accept donations, but thank you for your kind words :-)

2. 2 Posted by Alanna Irving on 09 Apr, 2019 10:19 PM

OK. If you even change you mind about this in future, let us know :)

3. 3 Posted by Aleksej on 14 Apr, 2019 11:04 PM

If you have to tell something to the users who try to donate to Anki, you can tell them that some add-on authors do accept donations. For one, if I register as a donator at such a place, it won't be long before I unregister, so it will be helpful if I can donate soon rather than waiting for years.

4. 4 Posted by ijg on 15 Apr, 2019 09:31 AM

@Aleksej: I love many add-ons but in the end you can live very well without them. Damien doesn't directly profit if add-on authors get more money. The most important thing about the Anki ecosystem is that the main developer gets money.

I would say this: People who want to support Anki should buy the ios app. If they already have bought it or don't have an ios device they could buy the app for a friend or family member who has an ios device: Spaced repetition is extremely useful but still many people don't use it. So the person who buys AnkiMobile not only helps the Anki developer but maybe even more their family or friend. Also you are more likely to stick to an app if your friends also use it.

This is not just my idea but has been repeatedly brought up by different users in the anki subreddit.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 16 Apr, 2019 09:46 AM

ijg: while of course I'd appreciate it if people could support Anki by buying AnkiMobile, I do not have any problem with add-on authors asking people to donate to them - they deserve to be compensated for their efforts as well.

6. 6 Posted by jd on 23 Mar, 2020 09:58 PM

me too, I'd like to donate this great program and people :) and i don't use ios :)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac