Double reviews in half the time?

P

14 Mar, 2019 11:45 AM

This is a copy of my post on https://www.reddit.com/r/Anki/comments/b0zbk6/double_reviews_in_half_the_time/.

This post mainly relates to sentence cards for language learning, sentence on front (with 1 i+1 word), meaning on the back. The purpose of this post is 2 things:

Share this idea and see what people think
Get help to develop on addon for it (since I'm a noob at coding)

What is the idea then? The idea is to make 'Show Answer' optional so you score the card instantly based on the Front. I believe it's just slowing my review sessions down and taking the 'flash' out of 'flashcards'. In my situation, I'm using Anki to do drill sentences and active recall. I don't know about you but 90% of the time I don't have to actually check the back because I kind of know the meaning of the sentence (if it's in context and learned well).

Instead of this flow, which emphasises checking answers:

See front, show answer, score card, next, repeat

We cut out the 'show answer' step so we spam your brain with active recall based on the Front:

See front, (show answer as an option), score card, repeat, next

I find that if I do it this way, my brain hurts more (in a good way) because its more rapid fire. Maybe it can half the time you spend on reviews, but I have yet to try it out. Having tried this via the 'Automatically flip card' (I need to set to 1 second for it to work though) on AnkiDroid, my review sessions are definitely more enjoyable and go by quicker.

Addon? I admit I am a noob at coding but I do want to develop at addon where the bottom of the card shows instantly something like this: [Show Answer][Again][Easy][Normal][Hard]. I can go through Python tutorials to get up to speed, but in terms of understanding the Anki codebase, it would be awesome if I could be guided by someone on how the logic currently works.

So what do you think? I wonder if someone has suggested this before.

1. 1 Posted by lovac42 on 15 Mar, 2019 11:18 PM

I don't think that's a good idea, not needing to check the back indicates they are too easy, but who am I to stop you from experimenting. First log your retention, then give feedback on it after a month.

Anki has protection put in so it differentiates the front side and back side. You just need to trick the reviewer that this is the back side. On the top of my head, somethng like this should work.

from aqt import mw
    from anki.hooks import addHook
    def onShowQuestion():
        mw.reviewer.state='answer'
    addHook('showQuestion', onShowQuestion)

Keys 1,2,3,4 will grade the card. space and enter should flip it. This is better if you map it to a controller. Now if you want to show button time, you need to dig in the code a little deeper.
  2. 2 Posted by P on 16 Mar, 2019 08:00 PM

Hi lovac42, thanks for getting back to me.

I don't know your particular situation for Anki but for me and trying to learn new English words, making flashcards as easy as possible is the only way to get meaningful exposure (not sure if you're familiar with i+1, do a page search for that in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_hypothesis). It goes like this if I were to learn a word like 'adorn':

Front: The bride's hair was adorned with white flowers.
    Back: to add something decorative to a person or thing

After a few reviews, there is little value in looking at the back (just like there is little value reviewing the dictionary). The point of my review sessions is not to regurgitate the meaning in the exact words it was defined. Mass exposure to language is what ultimately gets me the 'sense' of the word, a dictionary entry can only do so much to point to it.

Now you're right, there is a danger in getting it wrong, but that's why I mention 'Show Answer' as being optional rather than a must (for the rare words that I do forget). The main focus for me is to see lots and lots of sentences. I also add them from real sources I read everyday, rather than random sentences that mean nothing to me.

It's really awesome for you to point me to the right bit of code though :). I will check out what the behaviour is like once I copy/paste that into a .py file. Thanks for your help! I hope that makes sense but I'd love to hear how you learn too.

3. 3 Posted by lovac42 on 17 Mar, 2019 05:43 PM

If you like i+1, then you should check out this promissing addon called morphman. https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/900801631

I use a similar process of studying the sentences first before moving onto words, but space the high definition material further apart with larger intervals. This prevents the reviews from being too easy. Easy reviews becomes ineffective overtime.

In your case, not having to check the answer is a definite sign it was too easy and if 90% of your reviews are like that, you are wasting your time with the extra reviews. Time that is better spend on outside study sources or new material.

4. 4 Posted by P on 17 Mar, 2019 08:13 PM

I know about morphman from mattvsjapan, but I think it's mainly for Japanese at the moment?

>In your case, not having to check the answer is a definite sign it was too easy and if 90% of your reviews are like that, you are wasting your time with the extra reviews. Time that is better spend on outside study sources or new material.

I'm really curious, am I really wasting my time on easy reviews? Sometimes you intuitively know the answer without looking at it, so instead of looking at the answer all the time (perfectionist mindset), I rate it base on that confidence of trusting my sense of the answer.

I hope I am making sense, how hard do cards have to be? I'm curious to know how you study and it would be awesome if we could connect (if you don't mind). It doesn't seem like there is a way to send messages on here. What would be the best way to contact you?

5. 5 Posted by Vit on 18 Mar, 2019 03:26 AM

Share this idea and see what people think

1.This is not the right way to acquire 2nd language for the Beginner :-(
    2. I am surprised that i do it as Wiki article suggests !

My card:
    Phrase & Audio - Target Lang.
    Hint/Mnemonics
    Translation of the phrase
    Picture
    Definition - if required
    Grammar notes

Process:
    - try to recall the Word ( 3 seconds ) - Open the Hint; if still failed,
    - Picture - open the Translation - Definition - if req'd

If i failed to recall the Word right away, i fail the card.
    Ten minutes after all new cards processed ( i do them first to have time for the Learning steps to expire) i cram the failed cards, in Browser List, i - times.

Easy Recall - shallow memory traces, It is proven.

6. 6 Posted by lovac42 on 18 Mar, 2019 07:13 AM

@P:

I know about morphman from mattvsjapan, but I think it's mainly for Japanese at the moment?

You have it backwards, japanese needs additional plugins for Morphman.

I'm really curious, am I really wasting my time on easy reviews? Sometimes you intuitively know the answer without looking at it, so instead of looking at the answer all the time (perfectionist mindset), I rate it base on that confidence of trusting my sense of the answer.

Unless you are trying to memorize poetry, our goal in language learning is to be able to read and enjoy media outside of SRS. There comes a point when you are doing too much reviews unnecessarily.

I hope I am making sense, how hard do cards have to be?

Anki's default settings are made for QA types, but the scheduling isn't good for high definition contents like IR, cloze, sentences, or images. You get triggered by the cue, the template, the backstory. Each review gets boring and becomes less effective, your mind zones out, and you begin to dread your reviews. Changing the setting helps remove this easiness, but the correct change depends on the student and the studying material.

I'm curious to know how you study and it would be awesome if we could connect (if you don't mind). It doesn't seem like there is a way to send messages on here. What would be the best way to contact you?

I don't have any secrets for learning, just follow the 20 rules dogmatically. If you haven't read it, you should. This site doesn't use PM and I am not on social media, so just drop a QA in the community. If the topic interests me, I'll jump in.

7. P closed this discussion on 19 Jul, 2019 07:35 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac