Import changed note types?

Jack Bates

15 Nov, 2018 09:04 PM

I have a deck in which I changed some notes from Basic to Cloze. I preserved the GUID and when I import the changed deck into Anki, it complains: Some updates were ignored because note type has changed.

I tried preserving the model ID as well, but that didn't work because the changed deck still contains some Basic notes and two models can't share the same ID.

How can I handle this case? When I import the changed deck into Anki, I want it to replace the existing Basic notes with the new Cloze notes. If I loose my scheduling information for the changed notes that's fine. I'd like to keep it for the rest of the deck, though.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 16 Nov, 2018 05:47 AM

It is not possible to change the note type of existing notes in an import - updates can only be applied if the note type's fields and template names match. If you delete the notes from the target deck, then Anki should be able to import them as new instead.

2. 2 Posted by Jack Bates on 16 Nov, 2018 07:35 PM

Thank you. Is there a way to automatically delete notes that have been dropped from a deck package?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 18 Nov, 2018 04:38 AM

I'm afraid not, but perhaps you could accomplish it by updating notes in the import with a new tag, then locating material that lacks that tag.

4. 4 Posted by Jack Bates on 18 Nov, 2018 06:28 PM

Thank you. Would you consider merging a patch to add a list of the local notes that are missing from a deck package to the import results dialog? Similar to the "Some updates were ignored because note type has changed:" message? Something like: "Local deck contains 12 extra notes that don't correspond to the file just imported:"

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 19 Nov, 2018 12:16 AM

Hi Jack,

I actually made such a change recently, and it will be in the next 2.1.6 beta.

6. 6 Posted by Jack Bates on 19 Nov, 2018 03:41 PM

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Damien Elmes on 20 Nov, 2018 10:49 AM

Yep, that's the one.

8. 8 Posted by Jack Bates on 20 Nov, 2018 02:59 PM

In addition to the skipped, updated, added, and identical notes, would you consider merging a patch to list the "missing", "absent", "local only", or "not found" notes? Something like "Local notes not found in the file: %d"?

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Damien Elmes on 21 Nov, 2018 11:36 AM

Hi Jack,

I'm afraid I'm not sure at this point that such an addition would benefit a sufficiently large proportion of the user base - I'd suggest making such changes in an add-on for now.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac