2.1 UI text size (Mac)

Hugo

14 Jul, 2018 09:22 PM

I don't know if anyone else is seeing this. The UI text in 2.1 beta is much larger than in 2.0 without a corresponding change in spacing. On my Mac (Retina display running latest macOS High Sierra) it looks cluttered and ugly.

I've attached a screenshot of 2.0.52 (left) and 2.1 b43 (right). (This screenshot is of a new install of the beta and the window dimensions were smaller than the 2.0 window for some reason but I left it as is—the menu and list text are clearly much larger than the standard macOS text size in the title bar.)

The beta documentation mentions some settings that may affect text size in Linux and Windows but nothing for Mac (or how to set them in macOS).

If you've taken a decision to increase the UI font size, and it's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't, (ie it fixes issues for people who previously had fonts too small but makes it too big where before it was fine) could there be a toggle in preferences to choose between the text size parameters used in Anki 2.0 or the new ones used in the 2.1 beta?

Best wishes.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 16 Jul, 2018 06:39 AM

The text in your screenshot is the intended size. Design preferences can vary between people - I will move your post to the community section and hopefully some other people will chime in with their thoughts.

2. 2 Posted by stephenl on 16 Jul, 2018 10:22 PM

Here is a counter-point... I use both Anki stable and the beta I like the new subtle changes in the beta including the chosen font sizes.

I am using Anki on a 15" MacBook Pro screen and also on a 24" 4K Dell monitor.

3. 3 Posted by Chief on 18 Jul, 2018 07:16 AM

On a related note, is there a reason the subtle gradient (behind deck, add, browse, and so on) is gone? I noticed that when looking at his image comparison.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 19 Jul, 2018 03:27 AM

The change is just following the recent trend away from heavy gradient use in interfaces.

5. 5 Posted by Chief on 25 Jul, 2018 05:42 AM

Looks kind of unrefined on Windows. Looks really good on macOS though.

6. 6 Posted by Andy on 27 Aug, 2019 04:23 PM

I much prefer the interface size in the older editions, i.e. before 2.1, where the text is smaller. Now, the fields and texts in browse/add are so large that I'm turned off by using Anki, which is a shame because I love the programme. Is there any way to reduce the size of text and fields? I've seen information on changing environmental variables in the 'Known issues' page for 2.1, but I have zero programming experience and don't understand if this would solve my problem or even how to do it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Damien Elmes on 27 Aug, 2019 10:03 PM

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac