Three details about the wording of the terms of service

Marco

25 May, 2018 06:20 AM

There are three details in the updated terms of service that are no clear:

1) About shared decks it says: «You further grant us the right to modify the deck you shared». I assume this means that any shared deck can be downloaded, modified and shared again (or not). But as it is written it seems that if I am using a deck (for example on my Android device), and then share it via web, this deck could be modified "on the spot" by other users (i.e., if I update my Android device after someone has modified the shared deck, I will see a modified version of it). I assume it should be written as «You further grant the community the right to download, modify and use your shared deck in any way, including re-uploading it as a new shared deck.»

2) «Decks stored in your account will expire if they are not accessed in 6 months or longer.» This is confusing. I had to check the link and read further to confirm that this refers to the whole account. As it is expressed, it seems plausible this situation: say I have deck A and deck B, but I don't use deck B for over six months (while I do keep using deck A); then deck B expires and is removed (not so for deck A). Since is the account what expires (and not the decks) I think it should be stated as «Inactive accounts, which do not use any deck, will expire if they are not accessed in 6 months or longer, and all the decks stored in that account will be removed.»

3) I think it should be specified also what happens to shared decks that were uploaded from (now) inactive accounts, do the shared decks disappear as well?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 25 May, 2018 06:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I have tweaked the wording to reduce confusion.

1 - some deck authors may not want modified versions of their work to be redistributed, so the deck license doesn't automatically allow you to share your own version of the deck. I have mentioned it as an example of extra rights the deck author may choose to grant to make this clearer.

2/3 - if the account is inactive, all deck data but not the entire account is deleted, so that shared items are preserved.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac