Suggestions for a custom spellings deck

Andrew Lawrence

25 May, 2018 12:39 AM

Hi There,

I wanted to ask peoples opinions for creating a tailored spelling deck. I would like to add a card type for my notes, whereby if I want to be tested on the spelling, I can fill out a custom field which will create an additional spelling card (if left blank no spelling card is created). This spelling card uses the `type:` function to compare my written answer (i.e to check the spelling).

This is all well and dandy, however, I'm having problems sorting these spelling cards from my main cards. I have a single deck for ALL my cards, but I would like to exclude these spelling cards from my main deck and have a custom deck that is only showing the spelling cards

- I can't seem to figure out how to
a) create a custom deck by card type, I only seem to be able to use tags,
b)) how to exclude the spelling cards from my main deck

Any suggestions how I can go about this?

Cheers,
Andrew

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 25 May, 2018 06:22 AM

Hi Andrew,

If you always want the spelling cards in a different deck, the easiest way is to edit a card, click Cards, select the spelling card, and use More>Deck Override to tell Anki to place newly added spelling cards in a separate deck. You'll need to move the existing ones with the Browse screen.

If you want to move the cards in and out, you'll need to manually create a filtered deck, as custom study doesn't have a built in option to select by card. The easiest way would be to create a custom study deck with a tag, then change tag:... to card:"...." in the deck options.

2. 2 Posted by Andrew Lawrence on 26 May, 2018 02:55 AM

This worked perfectly! Had no idea you could override decks, but is exactly
    what I wanted.

Thank you so much!

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac