How do I shorten the repetition spacing?

sean

18 May, 2018 03:52 AM

Hi,

I'm new to Anki. I've used Memrise in the past, but now I'd like to switch to Anki. I'm using AnkiDroid, but I think this is a general question.

How can I shorten the spacing for repetition? I'm trying to learn Japanese, and I've been stuck on the same first few cards for months now.

My problem is that when I get a card that I don't know, which is most of them right now, I mark it as "Again < 1 s". Anki then shows me 20-30 cards in between, each of which I also mark as "Again < 1 s". By the time the first card comes around again, I've forgotten it.

How can I reduce the spacing to something like 5 cards maximum? By that I mean that when I mark a card as "Again", it will only show me at most 5 cards before coming back to the one I got wrong?

1. 1 Posted by Vit on 20 May, 2018 10:39 PM

Is the situation the same or you tried something in the last 3d ?
    Does the post need to be updated ?
    PS. I have found the relevant post:
    https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/ankidesktop/22667-learning-c...

2. 2 Posted by sean on 21 May, 2018 06:59 AM

That sounds roughly the same, and could explain why it appears to be ignoring my preferences for "show the cards again in 1s".

I've opened an Issue for AnkiDroid, since it sounds like the fix is app-specific, because this is the way Anki is designed to work. The issue is at: https://github.com/ankidroid/Anki-Android/issues/4855

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 21 May, 2018 07:29 AM

The default learning step is 1 minute. If you wish less time to elapse before you see the cards again, you can set it to a smaller number in the deck options.

4. 4 Posted by sean on 21 May, 2018 07:34 AM

I have the step set to 0.0300000011921 currently, and am seeing the behavior I described where it puts 20-30 cards in between when I press "< 1 s AGAIN".

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 21 May, 2018 07:50 AM

Please test with the computer version starting from 0 learning cards to confirm the problem doesn't just exist on AnkiDroid.

6. 6 Posted by sean on 21 May, 2018 07:54 AM

What are "learning cards"? I have 64 cards that are "due" and 5 cards
    that are "new". This same behavior is happening on the PC version.

7. 7 Posted by Vit on 21 May, 2018 07:21 PM

Please show the Info screen for a card with a lot of reps. It is on Browser screen, at upr left.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Damien Elmes on 25 May, 2018 06:19 AM

Please see https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html#study-overview

If you have any waiting learning cards when you start a study session, they will take precedence over any cards you newly fail. If you start out with 0 learning cards, then I would expect you to see any cards you fail within a few seconds given your settings.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac