Using machine learning and web services to improve the quality of shared decks.

Kevin Burton

04 May, 2018 05:03 AM

This might be a bit unstructured but bare with me.

I love Anki but it really falls down when compared to Duolingo and some other services in terms of card quality.

Duolingo's cards are great - but their scheduling algorithm really sucks. Which is why I switched to Anki.

Here are the problems that I'm currently having - both for my own use for technical research, language learning, and quotes from famous historical figures.

- Better support for images would be nice. I'd really like to use stock photography here. Google images would work as well. Basically take a full deck and augment it with high quality images.

- AwesomeTTS is great but it needs support for the PAID google speech API. If I could enter my credentials And pay $2 for do my whole deck I would.

- I'd love to find SOME type of quotes database to export from. Wikiquotes doesn't really have a good set of quotes or any ranking of them. The quotes are there but I don't find them particularly useful.

- It would be interesting to find a set of sentences for words when studying languages. I'm not sure if there are any datasets out there for this use case.

- wikipedia has a new 'excerpt' mouseover thing which would ROCK for creating cards automatically. The only problem is that it would only give you the "basic" facts. You could give it a starting page and it could extract all top/related terms/concepts and build cards for them.

For example:

"Public key cryptography, or asymmetrical cryptography, is any cryptographic system that uses pairs of keys: public keys which may be disseminated widely, and private keys which are known only to the owner. This accomplishes two functions: authentication, where the public key verifies that a holder of the paired private key sent the message, and encryption, where only the paired private key holder can decrypt the message encrypted with the public key."

It also highlighted the key words so clozure could work automatically for this. I could have it just generate JSON for the user to import.

1. 1 Posted by Barak on 09 May, 2018 12:00 AM

Hi! You have really great ideas, it seems like most of the things should be really easy to implement by any half-decent programmer using Anki addons, maybe you should find someone to help you. As for including them in the main release, at least to me, it looks like excessive weight and complexity.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac