A hypothesis for improving learning: temporarily linking cards

August

25 Apr, 2018 05:37 PM

Some subset of my mistakes when I use Anki come down to confusing one card for another. With Kanji for instance, I get, say 迅 wrong and find I answered with the answer for 辻 instead. So I put 辻 on the 迅 card for some time- I'm thinking about three times so that I have a chance to establish specifically why they are different.

It also happens with sentences too, but I usually just scold myself for not really taking the time to read the sentence properly.

But, when I think about the process of reading more generally, we learn to make these distinctions between items in our native language naturally, because there is only one language on the page. Perhaps I should link the sentences too.

A simple example: 冬and 終. Thanks to linking I have a phrase: there's no end in winter, but there's a winter in end.

Of course, this has to be a temporary thing, because otherwise it would just be like memorizing a list and not the individual items separately. Just enough time is needed to identify the differences between the two items, but not so much time that one simply relies on their close proximity to each other and/or their order to guess the right answer.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac