How can I review a deck whenever I want?

troysantos

22 Apr, 2018 01:18 AM

:)
I'd supper appreciate it if someone would please tell me where in the settings I can go to override the algorithm so I can look at any and all cards whenever I want to.

I created a deck of 41 words several days ago that I have been wanting to get back into and review. I've clicked on everything willy nilly and stumbled on something a few days ago that worked, but now I can't find it again, and can't access the cards again. Yes, I can see them all in Browse, but that's not nearly as convenient a way to review them.

I'm studying a Vietnamese book on meditation, and it's WAY above my level. But I don't care, I'm determined to learn this book. Most of the words on the page are new to me. I put a number above each word, with the corresponding number and translation at the top and bottom of the page. I can remember the meaning of most words in context, without having to refer to the translations. I've seen some of the words in other contexts and haven't recognized them, so it occurs to me that I'm not paying attention to the words on the page as well as I ought to. So I wanna see the words in the cards I created in Anki, so that I'll focus better on the words. In this way, I won't be able to use the context as a crutch to remember the words. I'm having friends record individual pages of the book for me to listen to. Right now, it's mostly still gibberish, but I'm slowly getting it.

I'd really like to be able to go into my Anki deck and see the words whenever I want to, and not wait for the system to give me access. But I don't know where in the settings to do this.

1. 1 Posted by Vit on 28 Apr, 2018 07:39 PM

Ask on this reddit :
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Korean/comments/495nhg/mnemonics_for_vocab/
    Make 6 subdecks 1 2 3 4 5 6 7( read the Manual ). Put 7 cards in each deck.
    In Preferences, set the Limit to Zero.
    Make 2 Options groups; call them "Parent-empty" and "Recognition".
    Set the "Parent-empty" options: New cards limit = 999, Review limit=999.
    In the "Recognition"group, set the Limits to 20 and 999;
    Learning Steps to 3 4 5 .
    Rehearse the deck-1 ( using the Browser's Preview button ). Do it as many times as u need to put a.=6 cards in the short-term memory.
    After that, wait 3 min and Study the deck-1. Click Again button only if u forgot a card on the 1st rep!! When u are on step-2 and cant recall, dont click Again! Click Good.
    Dont skip the 3rd Step.
    When Anki pauses for the next Step to elapse, go to Charts; there you will see the Retention score.
    I pause here for your questions; try it - it is impossible to comprehend the workflow by reading.

2. 2 Posted by troysantos on 30 Apr, 2018 12:14 PM

This CAN'T be the only way! This is way more complicated than I'm willing to even consider. Vit ... I super appreciate your detailed response, but ... really, isn't there a simpler way?

If not, do you have any idea why Anki developers didn't engineer the program to be able to override the algorithm?

I clicked the link to the reddit discussion, but it's 2 years old, and doesn't seem relevant to my question.
    Troy

3. 3 Posted by Vit on 30 Apr, 2018 07:59 PM

I did not attempt to answer your direct question ( it would be a waste of time).
    Anki SRS is the ONLY way. And i have shown u the workflow i am using --
    as of Today :-)

I clicked the link to the reddit discussion, but it's 2 years old, and doesn't seem relevant to my question.

I steered u there so that u could see what other Korean learners do;
    there is also a deck by Avita ( she knows Anki well ); you may adopt the Templates).
    Mnemonics is 'must have' tool .

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 01 May, 2018 01:45 AM

5. 5 Posted by troysantos on 01 May, 2018 09:35 AM

Thanks Damien. Now, this is more like it! However, either I don't understand the instructions, or there's a bug in my program. Never mind ... I'll find other ways to review the cards when I want :)
    Thanks again Damien

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac