Using Subs2SRS to create language content

Franz

17 Mar, 2018 09:44 PM

Hello!

I tried to search the forums for Subs2SRS but couldn't find anything. I have been using it for a bit and I really like it, so I thought I'd share it:

http://subs2srs.sourceforge.net/

It's basically a small program that given
1 - the video file of a movie, tv series episode, with the audio in a language you are learning
2 - the subs in that language
3 - (optional) the subs in your language

will parse through the video file and extract audio files using the timing infos of the SRT subtitles. It will then create outputs that, with a bit of Anki magic, will create cards will play the audio as question and will reveal the subs as answer.
Although not perfect and clearly dependent on the quality and thoroughness of the subs, it's a great, great way to creat some 600-900 audio cards with realistic, real-life spoken language in reasonable times (some 20 mins once you get the knack of it).
It's a great way to train learning, routinely considered the most difficult part of a most european languages.

Just thought I'd share it...

JUST ONE NOTE: as the timing of the subs is not perfect, I recommend using the "padding option" (i.e. anticipating the beginning and delaying the end of the subtitle string) to ensure you include all the audio, even more so if you are thinking of an export to AnkiDroid, as there seems to be an issue about audio strings being cut off towards the end of playback.

1. 1 Posted by ZapBeeb on 18 Mar, 2018 12:38 PM

Thanks for sharing

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac