Schedule learning to a exam date

PsychLearner

05 Mar, 2014 02:38 PM

Hi,
I'm wondering if there is a way to make anki help me in scheduling my learning in preparation of an exam on a specific date. So far I understand that anki schedules the learning and repeating intervalls according to algorithms that maximize learning effects but I don't quite get what is the time perspective this maximum is aiming at?
So if I have deck of cards I want to have learnt until - say - the 30th March, is there a way to tell anki this date (or the number of days left until that date) and then anki adapts my learning schedule accordingly?
Thanks for any ideas!

1. 1 Posted by Heather on 05 Mar, 2014 05:55 PM

No, Anki won't do that automatically.

Basically, you would want to look at the number of days (say 25, per your example) and look at the number of cards you have - say you have 200. Now you want to make sure you study all the cards before that date.... and you will want to see them more than once so you have time to learn them. Ideally you would want them all mastered, but that might not be feasible (depending on the number of cards, number of days). So for this example, give yourself 20 days to see all the cards for the first time. So that would be 200/20 or AT LEAST 10 new cards a day. As it is possible you might miss a few, you might aim for 12-15 cards a day.

But no, ANKI doesn't do that automatically.

2. 2 Posted by Aleksej on 05 Mar, 2014 06:34 PM

So far I understand that anki schedules the learning and repeating intervalls according to algorithms that maximize learning effects but I don't quite get what is the time perspective this maximum is aiming at?

Short answer based on the advice at the SuperMemo site and the Anki manual: as long as possible, with about 90% of the answers correct.

http://ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#reviews: "For moderately difficult material, the average user should find they remember approximately 90% of mature cards that come up for review."

My stats for the cards currently in the deck (not deleted!) show:

• last month: 92% reviews correct for Young, 86% for Mature;
    • last year: 91% and 88%.

http://ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#types-of-cards:

• A mature card is one that has an interval of 21 days or greater.
    • A young card is one that has an interval of less than 21 days, but is not in learning.

I have no idea how the interval length making a card mature was chosen. It seems to be used only for statistics though.

If the deck isn't perfect and/or you haven't made your deck yourself, you can't just count on getting 90% right without reformulation or additional learning.

3. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac