Best solutions when you didn't study your decks for many months?

Keven

14 Nov, 2017 11:40 PM

I haven't studied my decks for many months (due to finishing a degree). I am now restarting studying. I also have a huge amount of cards in my collection.

What I am having a lot difficulty with is that there are a lot of words which I have forgotten which have as answers something like this: <10m 3mo 6.1mo 1.2y

For similar words, I don't want to start over from scratch. Something like 3w would be good (one reminder is all I need), but I am sadly left with either <10m or 3mo as the best options. Yes, it would take maybe 8 or so reviews if I were to restart from scratch, but multiply that by 800 and it's a large amount of reviews.

Then there are also the cards which I have completely assimilated during the time I wasn't studying. The answer options look something like: <10m 1w 2w 3.5w

Similarly to the previous situation, it would take a few reviews to end up at around 3mo, but multiply that by 800 and it's even more tedious cards to go through.

I really like Anki, but due to having stopped studying my decks, with these two situations, studying is unpleasant. I've been going through my decks for about 45 minutes every single day for the past 5 days and I'm only 10% in. I'm guessing it will probably be like this for the next 25 or so hours of going through all of these cards with unrealistic answer options. :(

I also feel like if I start studying my decks, I'll have to continue indefinitely, since if I don't, I will have to go through this again. :(

- Am I alone in this situation? Am I doing something incorrectly (always doing your decks is unrealistic)?

- What are the best solutions when having not studied your decks for a certain number of months (and when you have a big collection)?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 15 Nov, 2017 09:08 AM

There is an option in the lapses section of the deck options that will let you change Anki's behaviour to reduce the interval instead of completely resetting it when you answer Again on a card.

2. 2 Posted by Keven on 16 Nov, 2017 04:34 AM

Hi Damien,

I will start implementing this setting. With the many years since Anki has been available, I'm trying to find the best approach that has been discovered so far, for when people have gaps in studying their decks.

Is there such an approach (list of settings to change, % to increase or decrease, how to go about it, etc.)?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 16 Nov, 2017 02:13 PM

Different people will give you different opinions - you might want to look through the community section and post a question if you can't find a similar topic that's come up before.

4. 4 Posted by Keven on 19 Nov, 2017 06:57 AM

Ah, sorry, I hadn't found the different sections of the forum.

Could you please delete the thread (I copied the text) or move it there?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 20 Nov, 2017 04:36 AM

I've moved the thread for you.

6. 6 Posted by Vit on 21 Nov, 2017 02:15 AM

Hi Keven. I've been waiting for 6 days - hoping that Damien
    would move you to Community section.

AFAIK, there are 5 roads to travel from here:
    1. Enlist the help from the Rescheduling add-on "Quick reschedule in Reviewer..." .
    With one click ( 'r' ) the input window opens; enter the number; Enter. The card is rescheduled.

1. Follow the Anki path and avoid the Rescheduling ( changing the Anki
      calculated Interval ) for Review cards.

2. With the help of add-on "Change the order of Review cards ...",
      we can change the Interval Modifier on-the-fly with the following clicks:
      'o' -> Review_Tab->enter the number;> Enter Enter; at this moment, Anki will show
      the different ivl. The user will use the newly changed Modifier on the consecutive cards
      until the Interval becomes too large again.

3. Combination of option-1 and -3. PS. I use this option.

4. Filtered deck option "Relative Overdueness" ( described in Manual ).

Which one do you want to see more details on?
    PS. I welcome constructive criticism.
    EDIT: The Lapsed cards option 'New Interval' ( suggested by Damien ) should
    be 1%, not 10 -- 40 as other users suggest; the reason:
    the same % is applied to small and big intervals - thus MOST intervals are
    either too small or too big. The 1% does one thing: it forces Anki to use the Minimum interval.
    This is where you would enter your 3-wk 20d interval. 20 not 21 - to keep ( I hope ) the cards
    in Young category on the 'Answer Buttons' chart ( easier to evaluate ).
    PS. I dont know if Fuzz is applied here.

7. 7 Posted by Keven on 23 Nov, 2017 06:20 PM

Hi Vit,

Wow, thank you!

I'll definitely try these out and get back to you.

Kind regards.

8. 8 Posted by Keven on 23 Nov, 2017 06:45 PM

I really like how the 'Quick reschedule in reviewer' add-on works. However, it would be so useful to be able to do exactly this, but instead to make cards "older" (to increase all review intervals).

I have soooo many cards that I already know well, of which for one reason or another have really low review options, that I would like to see in only 3 months, rather than knowing I will have to see them again 3-5 times in the upcoming weeks—multiplied by 500 cards!

Being able to do this would make it possible to correct those cards on a case-by-case basis and make things so much more efficient and enjoyable.

9. 9 Posted by Vit on 23 Nov, 2017 09:27 PM

I am glad you found it useful.
    Good luck playing with new Useful 'toys' :-)

10. 10 Posted by Fin Thiessen on 22 Feb, 2018 10:51 AM

Hi

@Vit

I don't really understand your point why its best to put the new interval to 1%.
    I see that i might be bad to put it too high. But why 1%? Whats the big difference to default then?

Can you make that more clear?
    Thanks

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac