Two questions about effective Anki use

brachioradialis

27 Feb, 2014 10:04 AM

Hey all, I have a couple of questions:

1. Often when i'm at the end of reviewing a deck or learning new words, the 10 minute interval still hasn't passed (sometimes not even close). When this happens, should I go and do something else for 10 minutes or just do the reviews right away? From what I remember, the 10 minute step wasn't even part of the original SM2 algorithm?

2. Sometimes I reformulate a card I've been having trouble with (maybe for months), often making the answer something completely different that's easier to remember. When I do this, should i just change the original card, or add a whole a new one and delete the old one since the ease, scheduling information, etc. aren't really valid any more?

Thank you!

1. 1 Posted by Aleksej on 27 Feb, 2014 10:17 AM

When this happens, should I go and do something else for 10 minutes or just do the reviews right away? From what I remember, the 10 minute step wasn't even part of the original SM2 algorithm?

It seems to me that the only purpose of steps is to avoid forgetting the card by the first review in Review mode, since that forgetting won't give Anki any serious information.

I've added a 1-hour step recently, and am wondering if it's a waste of time or not. I guess it's not a waste of time to temporarily increase the "Learn ahead limit" at the end of the day, but I'd like to find out how much I failed at the first Review, or even at any step.
    Maybe a graph or table of correct answers could be generated, like:

• 1: 60%
    • 1 10: 80%
    • 1 10 60: 90%
    • 1 180: 67%
    • 180: 30%

The data needs to be collected at rating, because, IIUC, Anki doesn't track step changes (hence the problems moving learning cards between filtered and normal decks).

2. 2 Posted by brachioradialis on 27 Feb, 2014 10:34 AM

That's true. I wonder what the overall effect of the additional learning step is on long-term speed of acquisition. It adds at least one extra review per new card, many of which would be avoided without the extra step. But on the other hand, any new card forgotten the next day has to again be reviewed the following day after that, rather than three days later.

3. 3 Posted by Aleksej on 27 Feb, 2014 10:37 AM

(My graph should also cover the after-step review ratings.)

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 27 Feb, 2014 11:32 AM

The 10 minute review is long enough to make sure you're not just testing
    your working memory (
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magical_Number_Seven,_Plus_or_Minus_Two),
    but short enough to ensure you get quick feedback on items you haven't yet
    memorized. I think it makes sense as a default, but feel free to turn it
    off if you wish and compare your progress for a few weeks to see which
    works best for you.

5. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2016 11:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac